Supercharged Vincent on ebay

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
More of a curiosity piece

Hi all

Came across this bike on ebay - 200500601983. Anybody know of the history of it?

Cheers
Graham
Interesting!! It is probably going to be a curiosity piece as I doubt anyone would or could make this go very fast without spending a lot of money. It is interesting in that it has Series B forks & RFM (unless the RFM is actually a transition Series C item). The whole point of going to the longer C RFM was to fit larger section tyres, wasn't it?
Nickel or chrome plated forks would dissuade anyone from using them......
The owner is a long term Vincent enthusiast with some fairly desirable machinery so I would believe what he says. Being a self opinionated person I would value this at about $25,000 (Australian) $22,000 (US) or £15,000, mainly because it will take a lot of money to make it one thing or another. I bet the intakes are bored to 32 mm + and the cams are a bit wild.......;-)

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I believe this drag bike was originally built by Max Kelly. The third picture in the eBay listing shows 'Schumacher M/C Sales Torrance' on the tank. That is the name of the shop that my father went to to have an Alpha big end installed in his Shadow, back in the late '50s. The shop is long gone. Max Kelly at one time worked for Carroll Shelby, and I understand was quite a respected chassis expert at Indianapolis. One of the often told stories around the So Cal section is of the time Max bet Rollie Free (and almost got into a fight with Rollie) that no street Vincent could go 120 MPH. John Miller accepted the challenge, and took his Rapide to Bonneville, bettered 120, and won the bet. Max never paid up. Max had a street Vincent, and the more he did to it to make it go faster, the slower it went. That prompted the bet.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello All, Never seen any thing like that, 4 carbs and a blower !!. It looks like it ran in the third photo, any one in the U.S. got any 1/4 mile times for it. It's a shame how these bikes are just left with only some of the bits on them and not used, Bill.

Mickthevin

Non-VOC Member
The bloke who is selling this is the cause of my current dispute with Ebay - I sold him some 2nd hand Birmabrite mudguards with numerous pics and a full and honest description which he disputed and sent them back. Of course Ebay refunded him immediately and hence the dispute. Without mentioning any names I know other people have had problems with this t##t. BUYER BEWARE
Mick

Mickthevin

Non-VOC Member
Warning

The bloke who is selling this is the cause of my current dispute with Ebay - I sold him some 2nd hand Birmabrite mudguards with numerous pics and a full and honest description which he disputed and sent them back. Of course Ebay refunded him immediately and hence the dispute. Without mentioning any names I know other people have had problems with this t##t. BUYER BEWARE
Mick

Albervin

VOC Member
Whoa!! My estimate was way out but the vendor is holding out for the one born in the last minute! Mick, it is a buyer's paradise: they have all the rights & the vendor has to wear it . I guess the individual parts are worth a fair bit; blower, 4x very large carbs, Series B front & rear, big lump of a motor (998 or bigger?) with "who knows what" inside.