The Mighty Garage Summer Afternoon Ride

Gary Gittleson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Very nice video. I have two small observations. 1) The choke lever seems to need tightening. It's gradually working its way closed throughout the ride. 2) The view in the mirror shows that this is a very smooth-running bike. I think I need to tear mine down this winter (or the next?) and go over the bottom end.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Unfortunate that some people have nothing better to do than be rude. One of the things I like about Mike's rides is to watch the front fork movement. Those of you who have watched the videos of the movement of the forks after the JE steering stem, lighter springs and an AVO damper have been fitted will have seen just how supple the front end can be. Mike's bike show how compliant the standard set up can be and he clearly got it right when he set his front forks up. Compare it with your own chaps. It is a good standard to aim for.

Mark Stephenson

Non-VOC Member
Keep up the great work Mike! Love your channel, skill, patience, humor and civility. New VOC member looking for a pristine Rapide C to ride as I am not as handy as you, but learning through you. I live in SF...Let me know if you hear of any bikes with clear matching history. I also posted to you a video of my '69 ground up restoration (by Triumph Classic Motors). Best in viewership. Mark PS. Let any jackass nasty comments "roll off your back like water on a duck's back (Oregon poke). Mark

Attachments

• 605F1E6E-204E-44B5-96D9-DE2711980985.mp4
    28.3 MB

Mike T

VOC Member
Very nice video. I have two small observations. 1) The choke lever seems to need tightening. It's gradually working its way closed throughout the ride. 2) The view in the mirror shows that this is a very smooth-running bike. I think I need to tear mine down this winter (or the next?) and go over the bottom end.
Thanks a lot Gary. Yes, the choke finally closed on another run and I have now tightened it right down so that it is quite stiff to operate but holds firm. Cheers

mercurycrest

VOC Member
I think it comes from the UK concept that if there is an accident then something must be done to prevent another, usually the action is a sign or another gallon on white paint (Oh or the red tarmac that encourages pot holes!)
My particular hate is the advisory speed signs for a bend I mean are you in a car, a moped, or a steam roller? all the same maximum speed? .. get real
in my small village we have about 4 miles of road (all B) we have 48 signs including one for cattle the last cattle in the adjoining fields left in the fifties!
The only good Idea is the speed signs showing the speed I have 3 pre 1936 bikes all legally without speedos the signs have calibrated my mind quite effectively. in the available gears.

How about this one?
Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 11.56.11.png