Suitable adhesive for kneegrips

John Reynolds

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Mercurycrest. Many thanks for alerting me the original method of fitting for the kneegrips. My tank came with the kneegrips stuck on and so I had not realised that the correct method of fitting was by being stretched over plates affixed to the bosses on the sides of the tank. I'll now get on and make up some plates for my new kneegrips!

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Bob Stafford had some Comet / Meteor tanks made and supplied them with the S/S plates to mount the rubbers onto but only a single point, so they will twist about, soldering onto S/S is a bit of an art, flux costing £15 for 15 cc of the stuff. When the rubber is on the side plates one needs a hole in the rubber to do the nut up to pull the plate against the tank side ?! How does everyone else do it?

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Use a screw with a phillips/crosspoint head, push the screwdriver through the rubber, the hole will virtually seal itself and be invisible, Had to do this with Triumph knee rubbers. Try it on a scrap piece of rubber and see.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
It is a 1/4" Whitworth stud coming out the side of the tank, have to make a forked screwdriver with 1/4" hole up the centre. Thank you for the idea.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Hmmm, my bike has two screws into "top hat" nuts, doesn't twist and the kneepads can easily be put on and off the plates. I'll try and get some photos today. Why not simply weld the nuts in? Plus, John's bike might not have stainless panels, so could be much easier to simply braze.

John Reynolds

VOC Member
I've checked this morning and my tank has a brass boss soldered to each side of the tank. I had presumed that there was a strut inside the tank and these bosses were there to fix the strut to the tank sides. Each boss has seven holes: the central one appears to receive the end of a stud (this I had assumed was the internal strut but I've now checked and there is no such strut), two holes are tapped 1/4 BSF and the other four holes are filled with solder. This tank therefore has two holes for affixing the plate which prevents the rotation problem.

I should have realised that the rubbers were affixed to plates because I have a Velocette KTS (awaiting restoration!) which has the same plates still fitted to the petrol tank. I had also acquired kneepads for the Velo and they are the same size as the HRD ones, so I have just ordered a pair of Velo ones from Grove Classic Motorcycles for about £10 each. Result!

PS Grove Classic Motorcycles is a very useful source for all those proprietary parts which are common to Vincents and Velocettes and which are not stocked by VOCSC.