suggestions

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This is not a vincent problem but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, I have a 1150cc JTOR JAP engine, last year when I finished it I fitted a HD carb, it would only start with rollers but ran great, I then fitted a MK1 concentric, it started on the kickstart but I couldn't get the revs down even with the slide fully shut, over winter I made a new manifold to take Amals put wellseal on the threaded sections etc and I still can't get the revs down, I've tried 2 carbs so far with no result. Don't know where to go next ???

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Just the single 32mm, the manifold and ports are the same size, I've tried a 28mm, same result, I've just taped over all the joints but it's just kicking back at the moment, I'll check the timing again this evening, I need a rest after kicking it for 10 minutes !!!

Chris.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Couldn't wait till this evening, detailed detective work has revealed,
A) kicking back had moved the timing (reset)
B) although slide landed with a clack when stood, when running not closing properly (this to sort)
When I had closed slide manually revs dropped but,
C) when removing tape from one joint at a time, air leak on front cylinder joint, revs picked up again.
D) on top of all these, front head joint blowing a little.

Enough to keep me busy for a week, sanity is returning, thanks.

Chris.

Howard

VOC Member
Not had the problem myself, but I have heard of slides sticking due to the suction in the inlet manifold - I think it's to do with wear, but as I said, not had the problem and it's way back in my memory. Maybe double spring needed??

H

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Being as its a new internal twistgrip and brand new cable there's probably quite a bit of friction so going to try an additional light spring.

Chris.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
may be the return spring to weak to overcome the vacuum created??? than the slide may stick, after all its monkey metal against a female monkey;)