Stuff on Ebay

vince998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not sure if you guys can see the German Ebay site, but i´ve got the startings of a comet (all major assemblies) plus some other stuff on there.
I would put them on the classifieds site on here, but i need the largest audience possible and all gains are going towards saving a complete comet from another source
The major bits i´ve collected over the years with the intention of building a bitsa are all on offer
I´ll include a listing here so you can look at the other listed items

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vincent-HRD-/300790080106?pt=Motorrad_Kraftradteile&hash=item46087c626a

Everything with a start price of 1 Euro.

PM me if your interested in anything and need further info please.

vince998

VOC Member
B Shadow RFM (3).jpgThanks Nobby, your´re a star.

Small problem with the RFM on offer.

RFM number is RC 4199 B
RC = Series C (with the C backwards it appears)
B = Black Shadow
4199 puts it at 1949 which is B era?? (according to my books) which puts it a year before the transition to C (1950)
This is why i listed it as a B

Yny suggestions.
Thanks

ossie

VOC Member
i thought that most Bs have straight and not curved seat fixings ??? just my impression probably wrong.
OSSIE

vince998

VOC Member
Hi Ossie.All the pictures i´ve got show this as well.
So hopefully i´m right with the destcription of Series C
i thought that most Bs have straight and not curved seat fixings ??? just my impression probably wrong.
OSSIE

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Frame numbers in the 41xx range are comfortably into the overlap where both Bs and Cs were being produced. Keep in mind, the overlap continued for quite awhile. Your primary clue is the 'RC' instead of just 'R'. Many of the other things like curved/straight lugs, or the type of timing or kickstart cover, etc. really have nothing to do with determining B vs C.

vince998

VOC Member
This is my problem having always been a "D" fan.
Apparently the differences lay in the seat stays, brake stay abutment, chain guard fixing (thanks Ernie).
Did Bs use a rear damper? (if not, maybe their are differing construction dimensions in holes and slits as well)
I´ve used the Vincent.com site and "Original vincent Motorcycle" as reference for the numbers, and must say this was quite confusing.
Only Jacqueline mentions that 500 frame numbers are seperated with / and have 1 or 1A in them(i thought the UFM had been mucked about with at first!!)
4199 is defenitely a 1949 vintage, and the .com website states that transition to C started in 1950?
As mentioned, all very confusing and best left to the club experts.
Is it possible to authenticate frame parts through the club?
What are the most definitive ways of defining B vs. C?

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The most definitive way is the RC vs R in the frame number prefix.

There are some early Series Cs that are from 1949.

I wonder if the ' 1950 transition' that you (and/or the website) are referring to is the cutover from HRD on the covers, petrol tank, and inspection caps, to the Vincent scroll, but that transition, again, had nothing to do with B vs C.

vince998

VOC Member
Could be Steve.
I´ve just found mention of the indroduction of a longer RFM (18") from frame number 3900 onwards. So also in 1949
Funny there´s no mention of the seat stays being changed, as apparently, some early Cs also had the straight stays. Only with the introduction of the longer RFM did this cause problems. (i presume the pivot ratio changed?)
The most definitive way is the RC vs R in the frame number prefix.

There are some early Series Cs that are from 1949.

I wonder if the ' 1950 transition' that you (and/or the website) are referring to is the cutover from HRD on the covers, petrol tank, and inspection caps, to the Vincent scroll, but that transition, again, had nothing to do with B vs C.