Stuck

DangerDan

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have started to reassemble the top end of this BS. Systematically installed the push rods one at time. Rolling through by hand making sure there was no surprises. #2 cylinder assembled rotates fine. #1 cylinder with the intake rod installed pushes through fine. #1 cylinder exhaust is a giving me problems. Is there a trick a gimmick. Does it have to do with the compression release? Any help is appreciated.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Dan, If your valve caps are on, Some times the adjuster hits the inside of the cap, Turn the engine Back a bit , Take the cap off and you might see a mark on the inside, There are some new adjusters for sale that are shorter That use an alan key, Or I grind the top off and make two flats on the top to use a small spanner on ,Cheers, Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
I'm never sure which one is #1. The front exhaust pushrod is normally the troublesome one, it can sit on top of the cam follower.

H

greg brillus

VOC Member
Dan perhaps you could elaborate a little and tell us exactly what you have changed.....Bill's answer is your most likely suspect, although maybe the pushrod is not sitting in the follower cup, and is jamming on the cam lobe as the engine rotates......Cheers.....Greg.

DangerDan

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks guys for responding. According to the dismanteling dvd the aft cylinder is the #1. Aft exhaust rod is giving me the grieve. Nothing has changed.. I pull the top end to clean etch and paint. The cylinders and heads were never painted. Rods were kept organized and re installed in the same rocker arms. Thx

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Check for spring coil bind, if a high lift cam was installed, did you shorten the top of the bottom valve guide enough, some times new valve adjusters cups have to be shortened as they foul on the push rod at full lift. A thinner gasket on valve cover cap some times works to prevent adjuster touch. Go with a real loose valve adjustment first and role the motor over , this will tell you if any of the suggestions are the problem.---Cheers--Max

timetraveller

VOC Member
Before we can make suggestions we need to know 1) did you change the cams 2) if so have you checked the valve timing 3) have you ensured that the pushrod has gone fully into its cup on the cam follower 4) You mention the valve lifter. Have you checked that this is fully disengaged and that the cam follower is sitting on the base circle of the cam 5) have you tried slackening the tappet adjuster a lot so that the valve is now lifting less. If that then cures the problem then Max's suggestion of the collar on the valve stem hitting the top of the lower guide is probably correct. There could be more but that is enough for now. Remember, none of this is magic. It is all just good old fashioned mechanical bits and pieces which can be seen and understood easily once you have played with it all for a while. Good luck.