Stuck oil pressure relief valve

54crapide

Forum User
VOC Member
The oil pressure relief valve (part OP37?) is stuck hard in the casing in the fully closed position and I can not remove it. Any one had/solved this problem or have suggestions as to how to get it out? The engine is a 1954 C Rapide

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
stuck oil pressure valve

Hello, It is hollow so perhaps an appropriate sized eazy out would do the trick. John.

nkt267

VOC Member
Just tried a method on a spare timing cover..Drop a 1/4 ball bearing onto the top of the valve through the outside of the quill opening and prise back with a small screw driver, keep adding balls till the sleeve is out.It took 5 to push the sleeve out..John

clevtrev

VOC Member
Turn a 1/4" BSF tap into it, and pull it out. Warm a little to help.
But what really is the point, where`s the pressure, that`s why it`s stuck, it`s never moved since the day it was installed.

54crapide

Forum User
VOC Member
stuck oil valve - leave it?

I have tried most of the suggestions to free the stuck valve with no luck. I have been able to apply considerable force to it using an Easy Out but even with heat and after a long soak in penetrating oil it did not move. I can get more aggressive but is it worth it?

The suggestion that it is stuck because it has never moved makes sense to me. It is in the fully closed position. Is there any risk in just leaving it as is?

nkt267

VOC Member
I''m sure I read in MPH some time ago that the oil pressure at the bigend quill is quite low,possibly 10Lbs or less.I know that excessive oil pressure to white metal bearings is detrimental,but I don't think that it applies to roller type bigends.If your bike was running ok before you stripped it then why worry?

alscomet

VOC Member
stuck relief valve

I had the same with my comet it was stuck in,warm the casing up, bend a piece of brazing rod, stick it down the hole and push it out,polish it up and the hole and stick it back in making sure its free all the way.whilst you have the timing cover off make sure all the oilways are clear and clean and doent forget to fit new rubber seals. alan