Stuck kickstarter

Dingocooke

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
I have an Egli Vincent replica, with electric starter, and I have noticed that the kick starter appears to be stuck, even lifting the valve lifter or clutch it won't budge.
The bike starts and runs ok on the electric starter, I may have inadvertently wheeled the bike back a fraction in gear (although electric start still works fine)
Sounds like gearbox cover off to investigate further, but has anyone got a suggestion as to what the cause is?
Appreciate any heads up,
Thanks as always
Best regards
Steve

greg brillus

VOC Member
Steve, was the kickstart working before...? If not you may find the Kickstart shaft assembly may be jammed, due to the inner and outer bush's not enough clearance, that is ...end float in the shaft. Try to push and pull on the shaft near the kickstart lever and see if it will move in and out slightly. If not, then you will need to remove the cover and remove a small amount off the spacer between the quadrant and the outer cover bush. It may take a couple of goes by the time you tighten the cover screws and check for function and end float...Good luck......Greg.

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
Hi Greg, yes it was, although I have not actually kicked it up with it, as the electric foot works like a charm! Will check for clearance, thanks for the reply Greg :)

clevtrev

VOC Member
As the so called spacer is part of the shaft, be very careful of doing that. You might cause the quadrant to come into contact with the sprag housing. If you had wheeled backwards in gear, maybe you have broken a tooth or more, on the ratchet. A sprag only rotates one way, the other is suicide, for something.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
If the ratchet was permanently engaged, the engine would still kick over, the ratchet is for the return of the quadrant only is it not? The ratchet spends its life engaged, it is only disengaged during kicker return.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
There isn't enough friction coefficient on any of the thrust surfaces to achieve a no budge condition. So it can only be two things, some how the kicker shaft has seized , bushings to kicker shaft or a bolt that secures the shift adjuster cam has came loose and is hung up on the quadrant , my bet is on something is jamming the quadrant. the only fix is to remove the cover and see what is going on. If the cover wont come off, its seized bushes to kicker shaft. Take it easy on the cover it could be damaged in its removal. Remove the cap on the primary cover, the one that is plugging up the hole needed when a left hand kicker is used. With a rod you should be able to drive the kicker shaft out of its bush by tapping with a hammer.

Max