G: Gearbox (Twin) Stuck gear lever

Status
Not open for further replies.

phsDommie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks, Cyborg - I am indeed rotating the wheel while changing gears. Also, the problem was noted originally as I was riding along, so definite wheel rotation.

litnman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have found if the cam plate spindle is loose or warn or the G29 fork or fork selector pin is warn or loose, selecting 3rd gear is more difficult.
Also check the the drive sprocket nut is tight. This keeps the final drive shaft G4 from moving inward allowing 3rd gear G12 to interfere with the double gear G11. Just a few things to observe if all else fails.

Attachments

• Gear change.JPG
    Gear change.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 32

vibrac

VOC Member
In Richardson where he says you should be able to bang up and down the gears after its set corectly he makes no mention of wheel rotation although obviously there are cog positions the prevent it happening

Cyborg

VOC Member
I was able to just bang up and down through the gears once. Made me wonder if I left something out.

Are there drawings around for the gearset holder shown in Litnman’s photo that can be had?

phsDommie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have four, fully functioning gears! Found the problem. This is so embarrassing, I almost kept quiet about it, but thought it might help prevent someone else making the same stupid mistake.

I was trying to figure out why I had this problem with the gear change now, while it was fine when I put the bike away for the winter. With the outer gearbox cover off, I have been able to go through all gears over and over again, using both the manual “arm”, G81, as well as the foot change, G 78. I drained the oil – crystal clear and no metallic particles, so filled the box with fresh oil. I replaced the cover and was successful in going through all gears again. Puzzling, but hopefully the gremlin was gone. After readjusting the clutch, I replaced the inspection cap – and ran into the same problem! How stupid could I have been? I’d replaced my original cap, ET24, which was a dull plain one, with a pretty one emblazoned with the Vincent logo. BUT – I”d used a valve cover instead. As you probably know, this is much taller and the G81 arm was butting up against it and prevented further downward movement.

They say we learn by our mistakes – I am one very learned individual.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Sorry I led you down the garden path.

Paul.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I had a very similar dumb moment, my Comet had never had the nice little gear position indicator fitted, and someone pointed this out to me, Marcus Bowden I think, I saw a pair being offered for sale on eBay I think, really nicely made from stainless steel, after a very small amount of fettling with a swiss file the two parts were fitted, don't really know why I bothered, does anybody actually look at them when riding or stopping. Anyway that is when my problems started, just occasionally falling out of the gear that I had selected, it wasn't that frequent, just now and then the revs would go through the stratosphere, but it drove me crazy, so I phoned my good friend Hugo Myatt, he is my first port of call for all Comet related problems, his very first comment was "have you messed around with or fitted new gear lever indicators, they can foul the gear lever and stop the gears engaging fully, Bingo! Thanks again Hugo.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I think the gear lever is original, the new indicator, although very nicely made, was slightly larger than the original items, and made of a slightly heavier gauge material, nothing that a Makita Power File could not correct, all now working fine with the exception of the pushrod failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.