G: Gearbox (Twin) Stuck gear lever

Status
Not open for further replies.

phsDommie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
After a long winter in which it sat idle (except for starting it up a few times to run the engine) I ventured out on my '51 Series C Rapide this afternoon. I find I'm able to run in first and second gears but the lever refuses to budge higher than second. I can shift back into neutral and into first, but not into third at all.
I have suspected that my return spring has been about to go as, in the recent past, I have had to physically lift the lever slightly before pressing down into fourth, which was then no problem. Not today, however, as all I can do is shift back into neutral and first.
Before I remove the gearbox outer cover, does anyone have advice on what I should look for, please? Would a broken return spring behave like this or is that too simple an explanation?
Thanks in advance,
Paul.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Most likely the G 64 spring broken which is preventing the G 59 assembly from centralizing itself. This will stop the shift mechanism aligning correctly on the ratchet, the "pick up points" for the ratchet alter slightly from gear to gear selection and this may explain why it is only picking up the first couple of gears. Good luck with it............... Greg.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
If you grab the indictor itself, and rotate it, will it then go into third?

phsDommie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thank you very much, Greg, for quick response. That is what I am suspecting and will get on with removal of the outer cover. Will let you know.
Paul.

phsDommie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Steve, thanks for responding. It didn't the first time I tried it, but I tried again today and it worked.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Then it is likely something accessible under the cover, and not something inside the gearbox.

phsDommie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I removed the gearbox outer cover and didn't find anything untoward. All springs were intact and no parts appeared worn. Interestingly, as I try to change gears, the same thing (i.e. inability to budge the gear lever downward into third) happens about half the time and the other half I am able to shift into 3rd and 4th easily.
I will proceed with the three stage adjustment as indicated in Richardson's book and see if it makes any difference.
Paul

vibrac

VOC Member
You are about to enter a dark cave with a poor map and a flickering light.... :(
but on this forum you will soon hear footsteps:)

phsDommie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dying to hear those footsteps......the suspense (and not being able to ride the bike) is killing me!

Status
Not open for further replies.