E: Engine Strange Comet

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Wanted to go for my first ride this year, Drained a bit of oil out the sump, Swopped battery, Pumped up tyres, Comet started first kick !!, On choke, Mk2 amal.
I thought this is good, Just let it warm up, Check oil flow etc.
Then change of sound and it stopped, Begger !.
No compression, Out with the Plug, Squirt of WD40, In the hole and we have compression !, Quick kick and it's fine.
I have had no compression after winter lay off before, Many times, But not after it has already been running.
Once it has started in past years, It has been OK for the rest of the year.
I think the Valves are a bit gummed up with coke, Can't remember last time the Cylinder Head was off !!.
Don't want to find work !.
Anyway, Went for a nice short !, Ride, Bit worried it was going to go wrong, But all was fine. Cheers Bill.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Stunning day for it -great pic..on another note have to ask you some builder questions about your comet there Bill, things you've done to it that I'm presently doing to mine as it gets reassembled -if you're up for that? Quite a newbie to Vinnie's, so forum advice appreciated of course. Best Jez

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Ask away Jez, That's what the Forum is for, There are so many mods done by Vincent Owners, Some good, Some not !, I think a lot of us just like to play, I have been doing it for over 50 years.
Funny, I thought this bike is almost Standard !!, For me anyway ?, More so than my other Vin's.
Cheers Bill.

erik

VOC Member
I had this phenomenon loosing compression on some motorcycles ,too.included my Comet. on a multicylinder engine you would not recognise it because it will run on baulking the dirt on one valve down the exhaust.Don`t think about it and Keep on riding.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
Great picture, I take it that's somewhere in the New Forest? I must get up to visit you. An ex racer on a single and a plodder on a twin might work :p

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Norman, You forget, I am Old and ill !, I talk faster than I Ride !.
Only just in the Forest, Up the A338, On the other side of the road from Breamore,
Going to Woodgreen, But don't tell anybody, It's a Secret !!.:)
Cheers Bill.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Speed is relative, did think it was a pic of the bridge at Yalding Bill, on the Medway -just a mile down the road from Conway's/Godden at Nettestead ..collected my balanced cranks yesterday from Steve, did a beautiful job...had lunch there, but pic is not that bridge or river, memory can indeed play a few tricks. Bill, very gracious of you, down in Sussex presently, strangely saw a rapide masquerading as a comet this morning -similar bits to some of the ones on yours -anyway be back in Monmouthshire from Sunday, and list of technical "how did you do that's?" -advice would be superb, thanks for the offer...appreciated -

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am down in Dorset now, I think the bridge is in Hampshire.
I did a few 1/4 mile Sprints in Wales years ago, Nice place, I won the Knockout once, On my Special 998cc Vin' Against a 900 Kwacker, We were doing the same sort of times, On the day, So we set off together, Very narrow !!. On The Old Swansea Road. Good Times , Cheers Bill.