FT: Frame (Twin) Straightening Footrest Hangers

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Mike, I have a yellow metal footrest hanger. I inherited it with the project parts I purchased. I dont think it came from VOC Spares, it was too badly machined, they would not have let it through the quality system. It was during re-machining that I discovered the yellow under the zinc plating. In all fairness, it's not my favorite material for that job either, but it keeps my foot off the ground and provides a place for the brake lever to pivot.
I made alloy spacers because I have weight fetish & they are non standard length on my special. The tapers bite adequately, the pegs dont come loose and move at all.
Clearly, heating & straightening the original steel hangers has no deleterious affect on their metallurgy, they can then be safely re-plated.
What I haven't worked out with foot rest hangers yet, were the originals cast or forged?
Not that it matters, my next pair will be fabricated from steel machined ends welded to tube so I get some extra length.;)
"The footrest hangers are cadmium-plated steel forgings" according to Eddie Stevens. I remember P.E.I.saying they were designed to perform the function of (low speed) protection in the event of a fall. Interestingly, Mike Breeding's excellent propstands are of thicker section than the originals, so he has possibly discovered more about relative strength than other manufacturers, but perhaps I'm just cynical.

vibrac

VOC Member
I would have thought that if the footrests were too strong the force of a fall would be transmitted to even more expensive items, I have made my folding footrests out of two LH comet hangers (but the Vincent Spares sell them) When fitting them however the only damage limitation I was thinking about was in maneuvering in the garage ,ie my shins and other bikes.

Mikethebike

VOC Member
"The footrest hangers are cadmium-plated steel forgings" according to Eddie Stevens. I remember P.E.I.saying they were designed to perform the function of (low speed) protection in the event of a fall. Interestingly, Mike Breeding's excellent propstands are of thicker section than the originals, so he has possibly discovered more about relative strength than other manufacturers, but perhaps I'm just cynical.
Thanks Chankly, my hangers were/are forged (and subsequently chromed), and served P.E.I.'s function well at about 55mph. I have misgivings about the new ones though, so don't intend to test them!