FT: Frame (Twin) Straightening Footrest Hangers

Shane998

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Mikes Indian Parts in USA got spacers from him Look at website All parts I've had from him very high quality and he easy to deal with

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Only the early series B had cadmium plated steel footrest spacers. Everything from approx 1949 onwards had aluminium spacers. I don't know the exact changeover point.

Mikethebike

VOC Member
My spacers are aluminum and have been on the bike since 1980, if not longer.
Thanks Bruce. My concern about the spacers was (a) do they squeeze onto the stud when tightened, and (b) doesn't the hole for the peg into the engine plate elongate, as it has on the steel ones I've seen?

Mikethebike

VOC Member
Only the early series B had cadmium plated steel footrest spacers. Everything from approx 1949 onwards had aluminium spacers. I don't know the exact changeover point.
Cheers Bill - my bike is 1949, late B, early C, so that'd be right, except that mine were stainless (home-made / proprietry?)

greg brillus

VOC Member
That's a catch 22......... The peg locates the hanger so it does not rotate, If it does .....people tend to over tighten the hanger nuts, thus it crushes the end of the taper onto the through stud.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My concern about the spacers was (a) do they squeeze onto the stud when tightened, and (b) doesn't the hole for the peg into the engine plate elongate, as it has on the steel ones I've seen?

I have to really tighten the nuts up super tight (so yes the alloy will squeeze onto the stud) because I have had the hangers drag back whilst cornering and even still they can move. The right hand one makes it impossible to use the kickstart and the hanger movement tightens the nut further. The left hand one is dangerous because the brake lever can flip underneath and lift the rear wheel off the ground, plus the nut ends up being looser.

Does Peter Volkers have a cure for this?

Cyborg

VOC Member
Due to an unfortunate, and spectacular, accident a few months ago, I have got various parts from the Spares Co. Amongst these are both footrests and hangers, and to my consternation I find they are all made from cast brass!

Are you sure they aren’t bronze? If they are and they are made from the correct bronze, then should be fine. Or was it originality you were looking for?

Mikethebike

VOC Member
I have to really tighten the nuts up super tight (so yes the alloy will squeeze onto the stud) because I have had the hangers drag back whilst cornering and even still they can move. The right hand one makes it impossible to use the kickstart and the hanger movement tightens the nut further. The left hand one is dangerous because the brake lever can flip underneath and lift the rear wheel off the ground, plus the nut ends up being looser.

Does Peter Volkers have a cure for this?
I think you need to re-machine the tapers, as they should routinely tighten to the point that you need to remove with a mallet. You haven't got brass hangers have you - these would be more 'slippery'?