FT: Frame (Twin) Straightening Footrest Hangers

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have always thought it would be nice to have a wood burning stove in the garage, But with my Smelly Comet,
Mk2 Concentric, The slide is always wet !!, I would be blown to bits !!. Cheers Bill.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
So how did the chrome look afterwards? My right hanger is a bit bent too and I have Oxy-Acetylene but have been reluctant to address it because of the chrome. The bend hasn't been a bother in riding but somehow does bother me when off the bike.

vibrac

VOC Member
Regulations and oxy acetelyne: Did I dream seeing it for sale in Bricolages in France and Harbour Freight in USA?
I belive the USA has it on offer you have real freedom there but if France has it then where is the EU level playing field?

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I can not remember when there wasn't an oxy-acetylene torch in the garage. My father bought the set I have now sometime in the '70s. He bought it off the firm he used to work for, tanks and all. Here you own the tanks as such and just exchange them when they are empty for full ones. A code enforcement officer came to the house one day over something unconnected and saw them and said they had to go because they were high pressure compressed gas tanks and they weren't allowed in residences. I said I have a dozen scuba tanks in the basement, which I did, and each one of them is pressurized to 3500 psi. I asked if I had to get rid of them, she replied no they were for my recreation, so I said so are those I create welded sculptures for fun. She said well then it's alright as long as I wasn't running a welding business out of the garage. Gotta love it.
Steven

eharris

VOC Member
So how did the chrome look afterwards? My right hanger is a bit bent too and I have Oxy-Acetylene but have been reluctant to address it because of the chrome. The bend hasn't been a bother in riding but somehow does bother me when off the bike.
Mine needed re-plating before I started, so I'm not really in a position to comment. I do suspect that it is unlikely to survive the process, unless you are very lucky/talented.

RDB58

Active Forum User
VOC Member
When you take it to red heat (cherry red) which is strongly advised to re bend it then the chrome is gone. Oxy is the way to go as you only want to heat the area that needs bending. Sounds like you are a successful black smith. Well done.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Regulations and oxy acetelyne: Did I dream seeing it for sale in Bricolages in France and Harbour Freight in USA?
I belive the USA has it on offer you have real freedom there but if France has it then where is the EU level playing field?

Unless you feel the need to weld, then oxy propane is a good alternative. You can heat, cut, and braze with it. As for anyone telling you can’t have one.... the O2 tank is for Uncle Jock, and the propane tank is for the barbecue.... or have they taken away your barbecues?

Last edited:

Mikethebike

VOC Member
Unless you feel the need to weld, then oxy propane is a good alternative. You can heat, cut, and braze with it. As for anyone telling you can’t have one.... the O2 tank is for Uncle Jock, and the propane tank is for the barbecue.... or have they taken away your barbecues?

Due to an unfortunate, and spectacular, accident a few months ago, I have got various parts from the Spares Co. Amongst these are both footrests and hangers, and to my consternation I find they are all made from cast brass! To add insult to injury, the rear cable stop on the left hanger has not been machined ( - 'because they're not set up to do it').
I also bought both footrest spacers (yes, the bike somersaulted), and these are made from aluminium. All these parts were originally steel, and the long stud, FT48/2, complete with left hand spacer, was bent forward and (just) contacted the dynamo-drive housing. I'm sure if these had been the new parts, the crankcase would now be in need of repair!
Has anybody used these parts, and what is the general opinion of their suitability?
I'll be getting the original hangers straightened, for peace of mind.

P.S. Ref this thread, I have in the past brazed chromed pipes by first heating them to the point where the flux melts, and coating the chrome with it - it emerges unscathed.