Steib Wheel Nut

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This afternoon I happen to glance at the Steib's wheelnut, Horror! It was being eaten away corrosion due I suppose by salt build up after many winter miles. Question? Are all Steib wheelnuts L/H thread or does that only apply to chassis fitted to the left?

b'knighted

VOC Member
From memory, if fitted on the left of the bike the spinner needs to be LH thread. In the eighties a friend who worked for Würth gave me a commercial vehicle wheel nut that was the same thread. It was probably from the left hand side of a Mercedes van. Using a steel nut must be safer than relying on an aluminium thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
All cars with wire wheels have handed knock ons. If you put them on the wrong side, they will come off, due to inertia. I reckon it to be the same on a sidenwagen.

vibrac

VOC Member
My trials side car has a Vincent wheel its a doddle to make a stub axle with spacers rather than a formed shoulder to position the taper bearings and then fit a standard vincent front hub. getting the wheel built was fun I told them at first the 17" narrow rim was for a Vincent chopper:cool: after they melted the sales counter I came clean;) as regard fixing I simply used two E80 nuts locked in mortal combat at the end

Len Matthews

VOC Member
This afternoon I happen to glance at the Steib's wheelnut, Horror! It was being eaten away corrosion due I suppose by salt build up after many winter miles. Question? Are all Steib wheelnuts L/H thread or does that only apply to chassis fitted to the left?
Silly me! Of course it doesn't matter which side the sidecar is fitted the wheel will be rotating anti-clockwise when travelling forwards. New one ordered.

vibrac

VOC Member
Depends if you view both LH and RH sidecars from in the same direction or from the sidecar side respectively
scview.JPG

Bushy

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Len,

The firm based in Kreuzberg, Berlin, only supply RH threaded wheel spinners. Phil Primmer used to buy those and then get a pal of his to machine out the thread and replace it by welding in a LH one he cut himself.

When Phil asked the German gent how he expected us to cope with the wrong thread in this country he was told, "You are using the glue which does not come undone", presumably a reference to Locktite but not a solution to the LH thread on the sidecar spindle.

Alan J

VOC Member
Len, I once spent a happy hour trying to undo a ford transit left side wheel nut! The right side was normal,Vibrac is correct!