F: Frame Steering heads

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A few days ago someone asked if the aluminium steering heads were still available. I have now heard back from the manufacturer and there is at least one available. This is of the later type, FT1/4 and is fitted with taper roller head race bearings. It will come with an aluminium cylinder head bracket which is much thicker than the original batch of these which were too thin. The price of the finished steering head and cylinder head bracket combined is £800. If you want it fitted with one of the aluminium JE steering heads then that would be an extra £340. If you want me to get your lower link machined to take two ball races each side to replace the Oilite bushes then that is an extra £100 and that includes assembly and adjustment of the clearances between the ball races in the lower link and the new steering heads. You can communicate with me either publicly on this forum, privately via a Personal Message on this forum or by email to me on enw07@btinternet.com.

Last edited:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Any thoughts on getting a unique series of UFM numbers for these, to be assigned by Simon? In some more restrictive countries, this may not help get a bike legal for road use.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Interesting thought Bruce but so far I think that they are all going on to race bikes. I did speak to the Spares Company (Ian) several years ago about the JE Steering Heads but his attitude was that they, the SC, had legal liability to worry about and could not get involved with non standard parts. There are about two hundred of those steering heads out there now and almost all the racers use them but, I agree, they are still not standard. I can certainly sound Simon out about the head lugs if needed. Thanks.