Steering Damper

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
dampers

Hi all,
When using Kawasaki dampers you are wll advised to fit penny washers above and below the eye end of the damper,as the rubber bush has been known to work its way out of its housing .If this should happen on your machine, the eye end can then drop off its mounting bolt with potentialy disasterous results. Allso when attaching the said eye end to its mounting bolt, use two plain nuts instead of a nylock nut, due to the fact the eye end needs to be able to turn on its mounting bolt you can not fully tighten down a nylock nut
AS far as I know this kind off damper is filled with grease,not oil, I may of course be wrong, but Roger and I have been using them now for many years with no sign off a leak.
cheers stumpy.

Last edited:

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dampers

Not sure if it was because of what I said earlier that prompted comments like "If it is moved slowly enough, any damper, on any setting, offers little resistance. The metering device only kicks in if you try to move it fast", but just to confirm that was the precise qualities I was looking for when I fitted a hydraulic damper many moons ago. :)

johncrispin

VOC Member
stumpys damper

In due deference to Stumpy, it is his design we are on about, once again many thanks Norm.
Anyone interested I can send some pics (easier to email your own address)