Steering Damper

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't think it was a problem with new bikes. I always thought that the stories came from the time after production when spares were scarce and poorly maintained bikes were cheap enough for inexperienced riders to thrash about. My own wobbles were with rebushed forks being too tight and jamming compressed after hitting severe potholes.

davidd

VOC Member
Dear Lenclut,

I believe that it happens with brand new components that are properly adjusted. The culprit is incorrect design of the fork geometry as stated by Irving himslelf in Motorcycle Engineering, although not pertaining to Vincents specifically. The geometry works well for 99% of all encountered situations and if you use the rear brake every time you use the front brake the geometry works well 100% of the time. There are a few situations that exacerbate the problem and most of the victims of wobbles have found those.

I use the Kawasaki damper, but it failed to prevent a wobble several years ago. I have experimented with the geometry and I think I have made my bike wobble proof. Over the years I have cranked the damper up considerably. The handling has improved tremendously on this bike (the single racer). Before I made these changes I could induce a wobble at will by duplicating the conditions of my first wobble.

I believe that the wobble problem only became an issue after many years of observation. The one percenter's became a bigger and more vocal group because of the wonderful communication offered by the Club. In defense of the designers, the Girdraulic is unsurpassed as a versitile solo as well as sidecar fork in terms of handling. Because the circumstances that lead to a wobble are rare, the vast majority of owners will never experience one. Although I have never found worn components to be at fault, I would be safe and urge propper maintenance and a damper as the best insurance. I wrote an article years ago for MPH about this and I am happy to send it to anyone who has an interest.

David

timetraveller

VOC Member
And the only time it happened to me I was racing and the front hydraulic Vincent damper had leaked so badly that under heavy braking on the mountain at Cadwell the forks were leaping up and down.

Albervin

VOC Member
I saw a guy racing a fast Comet at Amaroo Park in NSW leave a good impression of his thumbs in the petrol tank after a tank slapper!! Personally, I left a lot of my jacket and helmet on the road as well as sustaining a broken shoulder blade. Due solely to crap assembly of forks by an ex factory test rider and development engineer.....

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
One thing I do know about tank slappers is that if you have pretty dome head nuts on the top link pad bolts they can and will dent the tank on full lock and full bump.

len.c

Non-VOC Member
Thanks to all of you who replied to my tongue in cheek querie, I never cease to be impressed by the enormous amount of engineering expertise that exists in the VOC and the help offered, truly a great club.Happy New Year without to many wobbles. Len.c

len.c

Non-VOC Member
Dear David, I would be most interested in reading your article ,and any info available.my Email is len.c@teco.net.I think it would be a good plan to thoroughly check everything as my old bones are not as flexible as they were
Best regards Len