Steering Damper

len.c

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dear Timetraveller, thanks for noticing the error in my e mail address,I think it's a case of my brain (slow as it is ) working faster than my typing finger. but have you read the article by David .it certainly makes interesting reading.Cheers len.c

Diogenes

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Yes, although worn or badly assembled front forks make things worse, there are documented examples of steering wobbles on machines in A1 condition.
The Vincent front fork geometry is a compromise, like nearly all designs.
To see the front fork movement on Vincents A/B/C/D, solo and sidecar settings, and for comparison solo Velocette, look at

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/frontforks/

Regarding modifications, one needs to be cautious if considering applying mods which have been proven OK on a light single solo track racer to other conditions, such as a twin with passenger and luggage, on a trip to some remote spot over terrible road surfaces.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Lenclut,

I believe that it happens with brand new components that are properly adjusted. The culprit is incorrect design of the fork geometry as stated by Irving himslelf in Motorcycle Engineering, although not pertaining to Vincents specifically. The geometry works well for 99% of all encountered situations and if you use the rear brake every time you use the front brake the geometry works well 100% of the time. There are a few situations that exacerbate the problem and most of the victims of wobbles have found those.

I use the Kawasaki damper, but it failed to prevent a wobble several years ago. I have experimented with the geometry and I think I have made my bike wobble proof. Over the years I have cranked the damper up considerably. The handling has improved tremendously on this bike (the single racer). Before I made these changes I could induce a wobble at will by duplicating the conditions of my first wobble.

I believe that the wobble problem only became an issue after many years of observation. The one percenter's became a bigger and more vocal group because of the wonderful communication offered by the Club. In defense of the designers, the Girdraulic is unsurpassed as a versitile solo as well as sidecar fork in terms of handling. Because the circumstances that lead to a wobble are rare, the vast majority of owners will never experience one. Although I have never found worn components to be at fault, I would be safe and urge propper maintenance and a damper as the best insurance. I wrote an article years ago for MPH about this and I am happy to send it to anyone who has an interest.

David