Steering Damper

Mickthevin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Guys
Has anyone got any recommendations regarding steering dampers and brackets for a twin. Just been looking at Tonys grey fella and he says the steering and roadholding has improved massively

Thanks for any comments

Mick

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
You need brackets for the front head (Mallory Metals, about 5" of 1 1/2" stainless angle, and to fit where the steering damper goes (from a piece of 1/4" ally plate about 4" square), and a Kawasaki type damper. I believe Tony used my bracket designs (which are not not unlike Reg Bolton's designs in either FYO or ATY but easier to make). I probably have sketches of all the bits, so just ask. The biggest single advantage is that tank-slappers need to be stopped the moment (or even before!) they start, and that's what hydraulic dampers do. No worries: you can stress about your mortgage, and forget tank-slappers. One can spend a fortune on seriously expensive ones, which are no more effective than the generic Kaw one. The whole jing-bang should cost no more than about £50. Something important: hydraulic steering dampers are not activated by movement, but by SPEED of movement, exactly like door-closers, so getting zero-slack ones which bite immediately at low speeds might make you feel good, if (or probably because...) £300 worse off, but, practically, are no better than the £35 Kaw unit.
I'll need your personal email.

john998

VOC Member
Hate to correct the old sage but I think he meant Mallard metal packs Ltd. telephone 0121 624 0302.
Very helpful folk, for all metal materials. John.

len.c

Non-VOC Member
Hi folk's, Reading about the steering dampers, I realise tank slappers are only a problem when you have one, but I am curious to know just how many have actually experienced this phenomenen with a machine with little or no wear in the forks and everything set up properly, the reason I ask , surely if it was happening with new machines how did they ever sell any, I know back in the olden day's men were men and all that tosh but cum'om there were easier and cheaper ways to get thrill even back in the dark ages.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
My two crashes after crossing lanes while hand signalling were with bad steering head bearings, since fixed. I have the kawi damper as insurance.