FF: Forks Steering Damper

Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When using the double friction disc on Girdraulics, is the center tab on FF42/2 supposed to fit between the two tabs on the FF24/1?
STEERING DAMPER DISC (double lower)
STEERING DAMPER DISC (double upper)

greg brillus

VOC Member
The center tang on the plate locates in the slot of the FF 21 that is part of the damper shaft assembly, this is supposed to stop it rotating, but they tend to move a bit.

davidd

VOC Member
The very bottom of the steering stem is slotted as Greg mentions.

DD Steering Stem 22.jpg

Although it is a copy, the stock damper fits.

David

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
I get where the inner tang goes. I want to know if the center tab that sticks up on the disc with three right angle tabs should be fixed in the outer slot of the other disc.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Erik beat me to it,
The "D" damper is worse than useless, They come apart in use !,
For £50 plus a few easy brackets, An Hydraulic damper is the best.
Just my thoughts,
Cheers Bill.

delboy

VOC Member
Mike,
yes, I believe the centre tang on the outside of FF24/2 should locate twixt the "slot" tangs of FF24/1 as per illustration in Paul Richardson. Some careful "Trimming and tweaking" of metal may be needed.
I have to say, for the last 35-odd years, the two friction disc Series "C"" version has served me perfectly okay, with no squeaky bottom time.
I have treated myself to one of Timetraveller's hydraulic kits though.
Cheers,
Delboy.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Or for £100 plus postage you can get a full hydraulic damper kit to fit the standard front end from me.
Review from one very satisfied Vincent rider, I purchased one of Norman's kits, it literally fell on in minutes, the existing holes in the FF2 were perfectly aligned with the damper stroke arm bracket, I had to tap a thread in the underside of the headstock, but managed to do this with the correct size tap using a small open ended spanner on the square drive of the tap, and using plenty of tapping grease, whilst dreading the tap snapping in half (it didn't), spacer washers were supplied, but not required, the original damper knob is still in situ and screwed up tight, it does in fact serve a necessary function as a third fixing for the stroke arm bracket. A really great addition to any Vincent, and all for £100.00, an absolute bargain.

The dilemma I have now is I would like to fit another kit to my Series D Comet replica, the problem is it is such a faithful replica that the FF2 casting has been left undrilled as was the later practice, I cannot imagine that it would be possible to drill the required holes in situ, so that will have wait for another day, fingers crossed I do not experience my first tank slapper in 56 years.

Last edited:

erik

VOC Member
@ Peter! Change the complete steering stem and put your original FF2 for the next century on the shelf.I have a twin and a single with the mod. steering stem from Norman and my all matching No.s Comet will be transformed this winter.It is like riding an other motorcycle.Erik