Steel Birmabrights, again

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For a long time I was the only person* I knew, who knew that some Vincents left the works with Birmabright section steel guards, painted black. My Shadow did, in 02/1951, and very neat they are too, with a flat to clear the chainguard. Mine were later replaced by Birmabright Birmabrights, but I've reverted to the originals. I think they look better. (* Not quite true, because the member who sold me my bike knew, and he it was who had changed them over, assisted by the late, and lamented, Derek Older.)
I posted here, and on jtan, to see if anyone else knew of these. I got three replies, all US, who knew of them, had, or had seen bikes so equipped, and have just received a call from Harry Wallace, Scots, but lives in Melton Mowbray, who had recalled that he knew of a Vincent in Holland in the 1960's which also had these. That's six people, and five bikes
What I find curious is that I haven't had any responses from anyone in the British Isles. It can't be that these were "export only" since my bike came from Alexanders in Lothian Road in Edinburgh (ironically, the site is now a fast food outlet called "Zander's").
So any increase on six / five? I ask with mixed feelings: right now Vincents with "steel Birmabrights" make Black Lightnings (only 23 built of which not more than 72 survive, the old jokes are the best ones) look about as rare as seagulls with webbed feet...

Tom

Len Matthews

VOC Member
The first Comet I had was fitted with black enamelled mudguards, the same profile as Birmabrights. STW 263, are you still around?

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Don't know Tom,I was seventeen at the time and that was fifty yeares ago-oh what a giveaway! Anyway, STW is an Essex registration fron 1951 I believe.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Steel Birmabrights yet again - I've posted three pix of the rear steel Birmabright blade in the Gallery. Stays etc are exactly as ally ones, hinge is enamelled, and the long reinforcing strips can be dispensed with. Although I may not do.