Starting the shadow after few months - Oil problem

Bill Melvin sr

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Excuse me for barging into your question, without an answer! My clutch is constanatly being oiled . When I take off the inspection cover it is wet. It does not seem to be coming from the primary area. It is coming from the transmission shaft seal. When i took the Clutch out, there was no seal on the shaft, but it seems their is a recess on the back of the busing , which would retain a seal? Should there be a seal and what is the best way to fix it? Thanks Doc Speed

John Appleton

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Bill, from your description I am not completely clear as to where the recess you speak of is located. Your clutch should be protected from oil by two skirted oil seals and one composite aluminium and rubber ring, or O ring on later series D clutch carriers.
The first skirted seal (part number PD26) is a large ( very approx) 2 1/2 --3 inch item pressed into the primary drive cover . The second skirted seal(PD25) is located between the two bronze bushes in the clutch sprocket, and the third seal ( part number C18/1 if you have the earlier carrier) should be visible when the clutch retaining nut C20 is removed, or if you have the later pattern O ring ( C18/2 ) should be visible.
It is also recommended that the splines that drive the clutch carrier (C3 ) be lightly coated with jointing compound before assembly.
You should be made aware that C18/1 and C18/2 are not interchangeable as they require different C20 nuts and C3 carriers. If all of this raises more questions than it has answered I apologise and will attempt to clarify things when you raise them, as will many others I am sure .

John

pete4000

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Everyone,
I'm back to the forum to go on the discussion. After changing the oil etc... I start the bike, and it seems that everything is in order for the moment. I will look out the next days to inspect the oil in the UFM and see how fast it goes in the crankcase. If it goes well fast, therefore I will probabably put a conways anti sumping valve.
I have another query still concerning oil problems.
I notice, but it was before I park the bike that the end of my exhaust pipe (Piston N° 2 - the one the nearest of the front fork) was not dry and oily. The last days I take off the pipe and inspect it. At the begining of the pipe, the inside of it appears to be dry and at the end of it, it's oily.
I take off the spark plug and it seems not to be oily.
Where does that oil come from ? Pistons - Valves ??? (My engine is new).

Pete

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hello pete4000. I am not sure that I have understood your problem correctly. Do you have two separate exhaust pipes? If that is correct and the exhaust pipe is clean near to the exhaust port and oily near to the rear end then that could mean that oil is being evaporated near to the port due to the heat there and then condensing out near the cooler end of the pipe. If the engine is really new then this might just be a matter of waiting for the piston rings to bed in before this problem goes away. If you have the standard Vincent exhaust pipe of two joining into one then the oil could be coming from the rear cylinder. Have you checked that? My experience is that if the oil is going down the lower exhaust valve guides then the valve head will be covered in oil after the bike has been stood for some days. Bon chance

pete4000

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Timetraveller for your answer. I have lightning exhaust pipes. Here is a pic of the bike so you will see how the bike is.
The begining of the exhaust pipe is clean and oily at the end. Probably the engine has to run several miles until this problem go away. The other exhaust pipe is OK.

Attachments

• DSCN2874..jpg
    DSCN2874..jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 70

timetraveller

VOC Member
OK pete4000. That is a very nice looking bike. I think that my original guess might be correct. Once you have done 500 - 800 km then the problem will go away if it is the piston rings. If it continues then you will have to look elsewhere. By the way that rear sprocket is very large for road use. I do not know if you are going to use the bike on the road or track but if it is the road you will find the bike more comfortable and economic with either a 46 or 48 toothed rear sprocket.

pete4000

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Many thanks Timetraveller. It is a wonderfull bike and great sound ! I really love to ride it. For the rear sprocket, you are right, I already think about changing it and put a smaller one, as I specially use the bike on the road.