Starting 'Rapide' after 5 year layoff

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
This is my first post here.
I have a renovated Series C Rapide that's been laid up for approx. 5 years.
The bike was left to me so would welcome any tips/precautions before getting it going.
It hasn't done a lot of miles on the current oil but would like to
change it anyhow.
I have some Mobil 1 fully synth but have read that straight '40'
is probably best.The bike won't be used for big trips.
I've got a new 12 battery on the bike as it has electric start conversion
so all the electrics are fine but as I added fuel in the tank it started to
leak from the nearside tap.Took out the push/pull tap and noticed that the small cork cylinder had shrunk and was letting fuel past.
Other side's fine.
Any help/advice appreciated
Dan

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Try this thread.

Hi Dan,

Have a look at this thread on starting a bike after a 25 year lay up:

http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1027

Next thing to think about doing is going along to your local Herts and Beds section - there will no doubt be someone there who will be more than willing to give you a hand.

Then, why not join the Club - lots of friendly folks and loads of VOC events to go to, and a first class magazine on a monthly basis to keep the interest going.

Any more info needed - just ask.

Stuart
Hi
This is my first post here.
I have a renovated Series C Rapide that's been laid up for approx. 5 years.
The bike was left to me so would welcome any tips/precautions before getting it going.
It hasn't done a lot of miles on the current oil but would like to
change it anyhow.
I have some Mobil 1 fully synth but have read that straight '40'
is probably best.The bike won't be used for big trips.
I've got a new 12 battery on the bike as it has electric start conversion
so all the electrics are fine but as I added fuel in the tank it started to
leak from the nearside tap.Took out the push/pull tap and noticed that the small cork cylinder had shrunk and was letting fuel past.
Other side's fine.
Any help/advice appreciated
Dan

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Herts and Bed's section

Hi Dan,
The Herts and Beds section meet at the Hermit of Recoats at Titmore Green just outside Stevenage. We meet most Tuesday evenings and would be happy to meet you.

Most people get there arround 8 PM

Best of luck

Neil

PS
if you need directions try
Titmore Green
Little Wymondley, Hitchin, Hertfordshire, SG4
01438 351 444
www.hermitofredcoats.co.uk‎

donrapide

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Good advice above, the only thing I can add is that I've used castor oil on petrol tap corks before to good effect. Soak the plunger in the oil for at least overnight.
Castor oil can be obtained from most chemists in small bottles, which is all you need.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the replies.
Will try the Castor oil on the tap cork.Also need to do an oil change
and filter before riding.
As well as referring to the excellent '25 year' post I need a suitable
manual for basic servicing.Is there anything available from Haynes or
Clymer?
I do have a couple of books:
'Vincent motorcycles' by Paul Richardson
'Know Thy Beast' by E.M.G Stevens
Dan

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Good start - and try these....

Dan,

Two of the best books on any list - well worth a good read from end to end I'd suggest.

I'd also add a copy of the original Riders Handbook - these occasionally come up on ebay for sale, or you can buy reproductions of them, try VinParts first and see (you'll see them advertising on this Forum). Debbie can happily take your money off you and post out a copy if they have one. It talks about all the basic running maintenance.

Oil Filter - my recommendation is to forget the felt original and use the new cartridge full flow type - I think Vince Farrell from Yorkshire supplies them (as well as lots of othr useful parts) - let me know if you need an email for him privately. Also Russ at VinParts sells them too, so if you are getting a Riders Handbook then get half a dozen filters too.

Finally, I'd strongly urge you to take up Neil's offer and go along to a VOC section night at the Pub - there are a lot of things you can do to damage the alloy engine of your Rapide by not preparing it for starting properly and priming all the bits you should do. Did you know for instance that there are 4 places alone to drain engine oil, and then an additional one for the primary drive and one more for the gearbox? Once you learn then it seems straightforward, but until then things can be a mystery. When you've got a friendly offer of help to get you going then why not take it up and look after that super bike you have.

Oh - and if you have a Grosset Electric starter fitted make sure you have the instructions, some key things to remember:

1 - Don't use the electric starter if the bike is an unkown quantity on starting, running and carburation - a backfire can wreck the epicyclic gears or shear the shear pin.
2 - The sprag clutch needs repacking every 3500 miles - and you need special grease from Francois to do it.
3 - NEVER try to roll the bike backwards whilst in gear, even with the clutch disengaged - it could shear the shear pin or worst. Always select neutral before trying to roll backwards.
4 - You need a 14AH battery for the electric starter - fully charged.
5 - Francois is a very, very helpful man - if you need an email address for him, just ask.

Any further questions - don't hesitate to ask here on the Forum - VOC membership at £28 (currently I think) gets you free access to the full Forum as well as all the benefits of the club and the monthly colour magazine - with access to "Floggers Corner" with all sorts of bits and pieces from complete Vincent motorcycles for sale through to spare parts to keep you running and onto services from people who are passionate about helping you keep your Vincent in the road - great value for money in my view.

Have fun.

Stuart
Thanks for the replies.
Will try the Castor oil on the tap cork.Also need to do an oil change
and filter before riding.
As well as referring to the excellent '25 year' post I need a suitable
manual for basic servicing.Is there anything available from Haynes or
Clymer?
I do have a couple of books:
'Vincent motorcycles' by Paul Richardson
'Know Thy Beast' by E.M.G Stevens
Dan

danno

Non-VOC Member
Many thanks for the info,very helpful.
The bike does have the Grosset starter fitted.Have ridden it before
and am aware of the rolling back in gear.
I've fitted a 'Rob Hunter' YTX14-BS equivelant battery which has replaced the Yuasa YTX14-BS so am hoping that will be OK.
I'll certainly get a copy of the Riders Handbook and then tackle the
oil drain/change.
Dan