Misc: Everything Else Starting Problem - Series 'C' BIG Single

Jez Nemeth

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Need a pro with argon stick to do tanks and any sort of closed container -won't weld those too well at all no, wouldn't even like to try...there's a F106 on fleabay at present with a broken tang -going real cheap -repair that really easily and add material too, be super strong, so some things...

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Well Done, I tried to mend a bit I took out of my Mag' cowl ,
With the low heat stuff, And it drove me MAD !, I gave up.
But the bloke at Netley Auto Boot Fair, Did super jobs with it.

What is MAP gas and Torch ?.
Must have a go at that, I love playing with alloy,
And my polishing mop wheel and the right soap Can make better than new !.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Nature abhors a vacuum, it will be trying to suck something back into the void from somewhere, I suppose the first likely route is the primary chaincase through the main bearing.
I hope you are incorporating a one way valve or you will just be sucking everything straight back in.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have never used a one way valve with a big pipe,
When Racing I used a long pipe over and back to a catch tank,
Just a bit of mist out.
The one shown on my Comet just uses a car seperator , = " Plastic mesh " , Plus a 4" pipe, Just a bit of mist.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Nature abhors a vacuum, it will be trying to suck something back into the void from somewhere, I suppose the first likely route is the primary chaincase through the main bearing.
Yup got one of those off The Kingham stable -but also was going to run the pipe into a really nice oilcatch (which I haven't made yet)

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
MAP gas is a mix -basically Butane/Propane with some other fun inflammable friends in the mix =burns much hotter. It's what I use for my furnace to cast alloy, that with ceramic wool, building blocks and petroleum casting sand in a tin around the form to be cast.

Get it at Screwfix...MAPP GAS

But a delicate touch is required as with all welding.

Last edited:

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
I did sign writing as a kid in Tamworth for several shops, amongst other jobs set painting for ABC Sydney -then came and trained as a Fine Art Conservator at the V&A fixing old masters (Army and flunking Medical school is in there somewhere too -ADHD hey!). Talent for mimicking other's work to exacting levels of technical rigour. Hands and faces, brush stroke copies and all that...anyway, I find welding really similar skillset to that needed to paint finely.

-Just my opinion good welding is a complete art, just beautiful. Chris and Tracy who popped in last Sunday, just caught a glimpse of some of Chris's welding on a chromed front brake plate -hope you don't mind me saying Chris, but that small weld around the lower speedo gearbox - just perfection.

Starting the beastie, and making that an easier proposition to get back on Piste -the BT breather will help lots certainly...With the PCB, do we want a full vacuum in the cases? Had some issues with them, one sucked out most of the sump oil my T3, I'd shortened the Pan, got one off a Sandrail, and made a scavenge filter head -baffles from a Cosworth with half the rubber flaps removed ...and the thing effectively sucked the oil out like a pump...got one from BSK which I know works totally well- but a bit weary of them from what happened with the van, it was a Nissan one...?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Been thinking about your starting trouble,
Looking at your wet plug , You maybe running too rich ?,
I know we all flood to start etc, But if it's already rich, Maybe worth a few kicks before flooding too much ?,
Also if it's running at 1500 rev's, You should try and get that down,
Maybe air leak ?,
What I am saying, It might start better if the rev's are lower,
Thinking you have to kick faster to run faster ?.

vibrac

VOC Member
You dont need all that work a series D breather is quite sufficient size use two on a twin if you are really worried inlet rear exhaust front (thats what we have on the racer twin) used in conjunction with a small PCV valves (PCVVALVE in spares co) it is only about an inch or so long we use two and as Bill says pipe must initially run up.
on the big Egli twin we had a spoonfull of oil in the catch tank after a seasons racing