Misc: Everything Else Starting Problem - Series 'C' BIG Single

Jez Nemeth

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Vibrac, Got one -apologies PCV, not what I said. Used it on the Comet 500 and no issues at all all -good stuff, still have it -it's run off the front Valve spring cap, but may find a better outlet, that lower rear breather???

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Well, fixed the 'spout' of the BT Breather -have to look twice, quick glance you'd assume standard depending on angle -needs a polish and have a suitable 90 deg rubber engine water pipe that would send it cleanly backwards from there. Just like to use the original tools and the Cap tool K1 naturally fits and does it up tight...

Yup think that's ok, and still in keeping to my critical eye... can just see that MAPP kit made by Vortex in the background on pic 3 Bill.

Attachments

• image - 2022-06-24T154739.534.jpg
    image - 2022-06-24T154739.534.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 27
  • image - 2022-06-24T154746.733.jpg
    image - 2022-06-24T154746.733.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 27
  • image - 2022-06-24T154759.609.jpg
    image - 2022-06-24T154759.609.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Yup Pipe is double thickness, reinforced an 1 1/2" OD -ain't gonna bend too happily at all -thinner pipe is what I have in an old Seachest in the garage -can't encourage hoarding enough...

Starting? See what I can do if the bike is willing when I get back ... off to Ballet now, wait in a car park in Chepstow for an hour and drive the girls back again -Dad the Taxi... :confused:

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Reprieve from Ballet run, one of the mum's collected kid...rock and roll lifestyle eh?
Ladies and Gentlemen the much anticipated World premiere of -'FrankenComet' ; JR's 833cc Vincent single running in a bike... haven't even seen it myself yet -

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Well I thought the acting was particularly good -method actors you know -the Vincent played it's part superbly don't you think?...

Starting still a problem, everything I can surmise is pointing at that carb -but the new HT leads from Green Ignitions not arrived yet, so those contacts still playing up. Closed the slide a smidge, and turned in the air pilot again 1/4 or less, lacking a bit of ooomph to hold the tick over strongly -feels weak to me...

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Well Done Jez, Magic,
Maybe don't go for too slow a tick over , It's a Race Bike !.
Leave the long pipe ! , Hang it over you Shoulder :) ,
That would be a good talking point :).
You have a " One Off There ", Top Man.
Mixture sound fine, No spitting back.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
When it's warmed up , I need to hear it Blip, As I say not too slow tickover,
Poor old big ends ?.
Maybe another day.

At least you don't have to worry about cam settings working with a long stroke,
Neither do I !, Thanks .
Cheers Bill.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Nope, no spitting back at all, and no smoke from exhaust, none -but can smell fuel in the air after running it so there's some there -but like you say it was never designed for strawberries and cream and Leisurely Sunday afternoons on the lawn...I agree tick over needs to be up a bit, what it likes.
When you do get the starting kick right, it's just as easy as the 500 - However 9/10 it's not right, and that decomp lever is a blessing -and I get to keep the Bowden lever to boot which I just think looks an essential part of the bike -