Starting Line at Virgini International Raceway

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Mind you at the up hill grid at snetterton I needed 14 steps to fire up the Vincent
Brands Hatch the wrong way round with a bike that doesn't want to fire is a right beggar as well:mad::mad:..john

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On easy starting , run and bump . My drag bike was burning straight methanol on 13 to 1 pistons , GP2 carbs , Mk 2 cams . Was far easier to start after a switch from magneto to D type Lucas Dist . Ign on 12 volts , used a White Truck coil . Great spark .
One strong stride and pop the clutch would do it , having first rolled it back against compression . A little more difficult on a very cold day tho . Matt's Shadow runs a D ign coil Dist , also on 12 volts . Starts super easy . Dead regular idle like Big Ben .
Our Meteor is a super easy starter too , 8 to 1 , ported head , 32 mm carb and manifold . It runs a good std. magneto and also has a dead regular idle beat , never a miss , as good as a coil . Go figure . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I think I have found the reason foe the erratic top end power on our racers . Had to do with the carbs . More later . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On Lola , our twin racer . It uses 32 mm concentric Mk 1 carbs , these the new production carbs currently being produced . Much improved over the earlier ones , better metal and precision casting throughout . But where the old ones had a simple loose fitting tickler button projecting up out of a opening , this serving also as the vent hole for the float bowl , now there is a more sleek alloy tube standing proud capped snugly by a hood . This certainly keeps out rain and dirt but it's all so close fitting that it nearly seals out air from entering , barely any can be sucked through . While there is a small hole in the vertical tube it is closely covered by the sliding hood . This has to be a problem if one uses full throttle running hard through the gears and the fuel needs to be exiting the bowl right now . Certainly a poorly thought out modification of the original venting provision .
I have drilled right down through the hood cap exposing the hollow tickler shaft which should eliminate the problem . I had talked over my concern with Tom Healey who suggested the course of action . Tom is a clever fellow , a real asset to Coventry Spares and his Dad John Healy who is a carburetion whiz . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
That's a fabulous starting line shot David . The tension hangs heavy in the air . I return to it time and time again . Sid .