Starter rollers

Upstreeter

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Has anyone got a set of electrically powered starter rollers for sale, rent or loan please?
I'm finding my big bore Comet a tad spiteful and advancing years prevent my charging up and down the road with the wretched thing.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
I have a set for sale, used for starting a 13.8:1 Manx Norton. It uses two American V8 starter motors. It is called Zee-doc or something. It cost me £600, it's yours for £200 + carriage. It is bloody heavy. It can be wheeled about. It uses a 12 volt battery. Batteries, as they say, not included. It has an on and off ramp, and a foot switch, so at race meetings I could start my bike on my own. Since I've now sold the Manx...

Has anyone got a set of electrically powered starter rollers for sale, rent or loan please?
I'm finding my big bore Comet a tad spiteful and advancing years prevent my charging up and down the road with the wretched thing.

Upstreeter

Non-VOC Member
Sorry, and thanks for the suggestion, no electrics apart from the mag! I think Tom has the solution though.
Once it's back in regular use I'll be kicking it and spraining the old ankle again. I also have a veteran which requires the same device...jolly useful for running up the rebuilt engine prior to the first fire up.

vibrac

VOC Member
A Foxley starter is my choice.
No battery's, just good old petrol power
and you can move it to the bike fast-useful if the bike is already in the 'next race' enclosure and you have a delay-you cant keep reving up and getting hotter and hotter forever ... and bikes are hard to bump nowadays (modern ones are impossible).
Mind you IMHO it was a sad day when they stopped bump starts
Nothing will ever compare to the silence on the grid , a few nervous coughs ,the pulling back on compression the tension ,the scuffing of leather the footfall and then the first to burst into song followed by the symphony of noise and the climbing on with the foot just swinging over the seat and down just in time to collect second gear.
Hey Ho

Upstreeter

Non-VOC Member
...And the squash of the gonads as they make contact with the hard seat...I remember it well!
Again, thanks for the tip but the Foxley's a bit out of my price range.

davidd

VOC Member
I use the Doc Z rollers and they have worked well for me. I needed a system that I could operate and handle alone. The quality is very good although the slotted rollers offer the best traction and they are a recent development (in the last 3 yrs?) They are made by Art Zimmerman in Ohio.

http://www.doczintl.com/

David

vibrac

VOC Member
I think the slotted rollers were initiated by the UK distributor Mr Z had plain ones
I found the plain ones were no good thats why I went to foxley

Howard

VOC Member
A Foxley starter is my choice.
No battery's, just good old petrol power
and you can move it to the bike fast-useful if the bike is already in the 'next race' enclosure and you have a delay-you cant keep reving up and getting hotter and hotter forever ... and bikes are hard to bump nowadays (modern ones are impossible).
Mind you IMHO it was a sad day when they stopped bump starts
Nothing will ever compare to the silence on the grid , a few nervous coughs ,the pulling back on compression the tension ,the scuffing of leather the footfall and then the first to burst into song followed by the symphony of noise and the climbing on with the foot just swinging over the seat and down just in time to collect second gear.
Hey Ho

............... followed by the cursing and swearing from the non-starters left on the line.

H