Starter motor problem

Bill Cannon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm having a continuing problem getting my Egli to start with the Grosset starter motor.
No matter what battery I use, up to 30AH it won't turn over compression.
I've done lots of testing and found no obvious problem.
I wonder if there is anyone in Essex/Suffolk who would be willing to lend me a starter motor for a day
so I can eliminate the possibility that mine has a fault?

Regards

Bill Cannon

deejay499

VOC Member
You can do a quick check by turning it over with the plugs out and ignition off. I am having problems with the shear pin breaking on mine and have been in discussion with Francois. Retimed at 32 degrees and will put the carbs through an ultrasonic cleaner and try again. Starts on the kickstarter, runs and ticks over OK. I have also put a better earth on as my engine plates were powder coated, even though the earth was OK with a meter. Good luck. Dave

clevtrev

VOC Member
I'm having a continuing problem getting my Egli to start with the Grosset starter motor.
No matter what battery I use, up to 30AH it won't turn over compression.
I've done lots of testing and found no obvious problem.
I wonder if there is anyone in Essex/Suffolk who would be willing to lend me a starter motor for a day
so I can eliminate the possibility that mine has a fault?

Regards

Bill Cannon
Add another earth cable to a different point.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Thanks for the input guys.
Francois has already been very helpful and replaced a broken brush spring and modified to the latest specification all without charge.
The bike has been out of action for 5 years having a Terry Prince 1200 conversion with 9:1 pistons. Previously it was 998 with 10.5:1 pistons and the starter turned it over easily although I did have issues with the reduction gears breaking due to shock reversal when the engine stopped.
The earth lead is substantial and goes directly to G50 and does not get particularly hot. The positive lead is getting hotter so I duplicated it with a second lead. This made no difference.
I have deliberately retarded the ignition and this also made no difference.
The only other thing I am wondering is could a mistake in valve timing increase the effective compression ratio?
By the way I have successfully started the engine on rollers and it seems to run reasonably well.
Bill

vibrac

VOC Member
My proceedure is to
1. General rule: never swich coil ignition on without valve lifter in especially when warm engine
To start
2. lift valve lifter
3. press starter hear 1 turn
4 drop valve lifter

greg brillus

VOC Member
Reg Bolton was having issues starting his ex race bike with electric starter, this after he lowered the compression with plates under the barrels, mind you he was still running the 1 3/8 GP carbs. He replaced the shear pin several times. I suggested he use the decompressor to give the starter a chance to let flywheels spin up first, and also to stop the engine. If you use an ignition kill switch to stop the engine, this is a mistake, and will damage the shear pin, as this does not dump the compression causing the engine to roll backward against the starter mechanism. Think about what is happening.....the design of the starter kit, although it works ok, is not a strong design. It should ideally be driving a ring gear from the primary side...in an ideal world. On a big capacity, high comp engine you need to unload the starter a little, otherwise it will struggle. My advice....use the decompressor to start, and stop the engine.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
With Terry Prince heads these engines become very hard to roll over. The reason is mainly down to the big squish area, but the extra capacity is also a factor, of course. Terry told me he built a roller starter for his 1350 racer . He used an automotive starter from a good sized Nissan truck of some kind. With two truck batteries hooked to it, it still would not roll his 1350 over! The squish band head is completely different than our hemi heads. With the hemi, the compression buld up is more linear. With the squish, there is a very great amount of compression hapening in a very short distance, hence the word "squish"' It takes a lot of starter power or kickstart strength to do the squish.

The answer is to use a compression release. The standard compression release is not really designed for such usage. If for some reason you are only using one plug in the two plug heads, then it would likely be better to fit a Royal Enfield type decompressor in the other plug hole.
Glen

Howard

VOC Member
Bill,

You've probably thought of this (but you don't mention it) - will the motor turn with the clutch released?

H

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Hi learned gentlemen, could anyone give me a quick rundown on the grosset starter, i assume it drives through the primary chain? If so how does it connect/disconnect?
Thanks

Kevin

nkt267

VOC Member
It mounts under the gearbox on the twin and mounts to a modified G50 if I remember correctly..It does not operate on the primary side.
The one I have seen on a Comet mounts between the gearbox and engine directly onto a modified inner primary case and I guess,'cos I havn't seen inside, it runs onto a special engine sprocket..John