Misc: Everything Else Start Up Checklist?

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Looks like a way to spin a special oil pump, without the rest of the engine spinning. I guess you could call that a zero start oil pump, no drive scroll at all.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Steve has it right. Oil pump with the teeth ground off. You can pull the proper oil pump, and insert this one which has a drive sticking out through the plug, which is O ringed to prevent oil passing. It had a socket headed drive. The long shaft has a hex key on the end. Insert it to the pump, (don't forget the plunger pin) and connect it to a drill and spin the pump. No bearings spinning dry, no cams spinning dry, oil going everywhere it should. All can be done without undoing another bolt. The a quick swap over to the proper pump, and it you are quick barely an ounce or two on the floor. Good to go!
So who can tell me which way to spin the pump?

Worldwide patents are held by the inventor and maker of this fine tool. For permission to copy, apply to Dan Smith c/o Not Another Clever Little Tool Enterprises, Vancouver BC :)

Now to start a real can. I recall that the picador engines were (when they figured out that bent props on landing was an issue) timed so that the props were horizontal when the engines stopped. It has been my contention that whether an engine sumps down may have something to do with what position the oil pump is in when the music stops and everyone is looking for a chair. When you look at the flats and think about where the openings are located when it all turns in for the night, that it is possible that oil may sneak past the pump easier when the pump is in a certain position. This could explain why a somewhat clapped out engine may not sump down as much as one that is brand new with everything absolutely perfect.

Thoughts?

stu spalding

VOC Member
Now you need to check/set the ignition timing - What's needed for easy starting is 4 BTDC fully retarded and for running 32 to 34 BTDC fully advanced.
Hi Chuck, You may find that these figures don't add up. The standard ATD range is 17 degrees (34 crankshaft) but with wear it can be more, mine was 19 degrees. ATDs can be fettled by building up the ears with weld and filing to suit. Cheers, Stu.

Last edited:

Normski

Non-VOC Member
You could buy and read 'Know thy Beast' by Stevens and 'Vincent Motorcycles' by Richardson - they will help you understand what is referred to in the posts above.

Albervin

VOC Member
If you don't have rollers or feel like contributing to Watson. Smith and Co. you just take out the spark plugs and kick through 72 times. Before doing so pre-load the oil filter and squirt copious amounts of oil down the rocker tunnels. And no, I am not joking. One of our members did this. 72 full strokes will also take the timing gears full cycle.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
And now a brief yet exciting trailer for next month's MPH

It takes 158 to go a full cycle of the timing gears and bring them all back in line.

chucktaggart

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the help. All of the above is exactly what I need. I am also paying phone tag with Bev. Looking forward to getting this thing running. It is odd that my signature is saying non-VOC member...

highbury731

VOC Member
When first turning the engine over, would it not be a good idea to drain the return pipe oil into a container, and watch to see how clean the oil is? When you see that it returns clean, then reconnect the pipe to the oil tank. That allows the recirculation to stay clean for longer.
Paul