Misc: Everything Else Standard Comet Special

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just mostly finished the fiddly tasks of fitting the exhaust and seat/tank, which up until now have just been sitting loose on the bike. The tailpiece and seat are salvaged from a 961 Norton. The seat support required making 5 mirror image out of plane bends in the 1" DOM tubing to imitate the Norton rear subframe. I am glad I built in some adjustability as getting it all to fit without the rear tire smacking the seat on bump was difficult. The tank is an Egli original , probably from an Egli Honda, and is supported off the 4" oil tank by a semi circular aluminum arch with neoprene padding strips under it and also between it and the tank. I am amazed at how much time and fabrication this all takes. Soon this first assembly will all have to come apart so I can finish lightening, painting and polishing all the bits I made over the winter. I also have to finish up valve timing, ignition, and getting the engine all buttoned up. Plus we have the house on the market so at any time we will have to pack all this up and move it somewhere else. That could easily put completion into next year.

IMG_1267.jpg
IMG_1271.jpg
IMG_1274.jpg

Black Flash

VOC Member
Something I just saw today on your pictures ist the very special David dunfey clutch cover, nice.
Also I can't see oil lines.
Were are they going to on this DD special UFM?

davidd

VOC Member
Ron has done a lovely job!

I had been using the two "D's", one back to the other, as a logo. Ron, was kind enough to add a "V" to it to give the effort a proper logo. I thank Ron for that:
IMG_1196.jpg

I think Ron has not gotten around to the oil lines. The UFM is reasonably standard. It has a spin-on oil filter, which doubles as the oil return. The return oil line will enter the spin-on filter mount, go through the filter and then up through the tank to the clear line that shows the oil is pumping. As the oil returns to the tank through the other end of that line it drops into the tank.

The feed for the oil pump is taken from the middle of the UFM. On the stock UFM that is the return. I moved these points to get the oil lines away from the rear part of the UFM because the single shock mount in the rear takes up most of the space that was devoted to the original oil line routing. This was not a problem with the twin shock Eglis, but it is with the mono shock Eglis.

David

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I have a couple of pictures of your Black Flash in my project folder for inspiration and ideas. I really like what you did.

The clutch cover that came with the engine had the logo machined off, so it was nothing special, and it ended up being the perfect removable part to make with a DDV logo.

Here is some more detail on the oil return to add to Daviddd's explanation. I was just looking at the return lines today, thinking I need to get some 5/16 oil line, and I still have to drill and tap the filter mount like the picture. I waited for this until the engine was mounted so I can pick the nicest way to run the oil line for convenience and aesthetics. I like the way I could throw a cat through the bike without upsetting it too much and hope to keep things tucked away out of sight and retain as much open space as possible. The TP head uses barbed fittings rather than the standard and complex banjos and steel lines so I will be doing the lines like yours. Someone else over there has what looks like hydraulic fittings with braided lines on a TP head Comet, though that is probably overkill. I did find a nice small chrome non return oil filter cartridge that looks nicer than the typical Fram filter.

Ron UFM 7.jpgRon UFM 8.jpgRon UFM 10.jpg

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
When I built the first frames, I designed the spin-on filter to sit under the tank. I first used the original US Egli tank because that is what I had.
Egli Oil Tank Mod 16.jpg

Like many of the Vincent tanks this one is designed to be well forward, so it hides the filter. The tank mounts through the top of the tank with a single bolt like the original Egli tank. It rests on 1/2" thick foam on the tunnel. (By the way, that is an aqueous blaster on the right. It is a Graymills Tempest.)

David