Misc: Everything Else Standard Comet Special

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It seems there are lots of ways to do this. I'm new at Comets so this is great to see. By the way, I like the location of the sidestand on the Vibrac Egli. Plenty of support right there between those two through bolts.
For some reason I had a lot of trouble getting the belt on or off when tensioned correctly. I could not quite do a 90 degree twist but was getting the 25mm up and down slack Bob Newby recommends. I may be getting things too tight. Are the pulleys 36 x 68? There is not a lot of belt run between my pulleys to get 90 degrees without a lot of slack.

If you have figured it out.... let me know how long of a side stand you need. I have one off a Honda VFR800 that you are welcome to. It looks like the one above. I ended up using one from a 2000 something Triumph which was slightly longer. The Triumph one has a mounting flange with 3 bolt holes and I mounted it in the same general location as that Egli. I was able to slightly enlarge one of the bolt holes and run a longer lower gearbox mounting bolt through it. Will post a closeup picture when I can.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
In general when I was replacing the belt, if it would not go on easily it was too tight. If it went on too easily it was too loose.

That's good advice that makes sense. If the engine pulley had no flange on the outside it would all be easier, but the flange serves a purpose. In any case, I have the adjustment mechanism now so it works at the cost of some added complication and weight.

vibrac

VOC Member
The egli comet has only a few miles on it I have to take that Kawasaki side stand off and grind a few degrees taper on the base bolt face I need slightly more lean on the bike for stability it's a thing that has to be done incrementally a 1/2" board under the rear wheel increases the stability effectively so it's easy to grind off too much.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Thanks for the offer Cyborg, but I rescued an aluminum sidestand off a newer Ducati. I am hoping that a 3/8" or 1/2" plate between the 7/16" through bolt and the now unused 1/2" lower mounting hole for the Burman will be a good location. I was worried it might be too long to put it that low, but Vibrac's suggestion of beveling the back of the mounting plate to angle it out is a good one. I would like to be able to reach it with my foot while seated.

IMG_1169.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
The egli comet has only a few miles on it I have to take that Kawasaki side stand off and grind a few degrees taper on the base bolt face I need slightly more lean on the bike for stability it's a thing that has to be done incrementally a 1/2" board under the rear wheel increases the stability effectively so it's easy to grind off too much.

That surprises me a little bit, although I guess it depends on your wheel size, fork length, swing arm angle, etc. compared to mine. I had to search out the longer Triumph stand. My engine sits a little higher.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Like Cyborg in his thread, I have been working on footrest plates. Mine are also heavily drilled but holes can serve a useful purpose, (in addition to lightening the plates) as footrest adjustment options and mounting places for seat struts etc.

Also doing alignment of the rear hub and sprocket and all day yesterday it was spacers on the lathe.

IMG_1177.jpg
IMG_1178.jpg

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Work progresses. The Ducati sidestand works very well using a small 3/8" thick plate anchored by the 7/16 Comet case bolt and the 1/2" Burman transmission mounting hole left unused from using a Commando gearbox. I have figured out the tank and seat mount now and the thing rolls on its own two wheels. First assembly in this picture, with missing structural parts, a bit of duct tape here and there, used part scratches, and much remains to be done.
IMG_1216.jpg
IMG_1217.jpg
IMG_1220.JPG

Cyborg

VOC Member
You are catching up! Looks good..... you even have the official TP work stand. Its nice when you get them to roll around... a bit of a milestone that gives you hope and sense of accomplishment.

PS. Just noticed you have been using the pantograph. What does that stand for?

Last edited: