Misc: Everything Else Standard Comet Special

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Could you imagine being a parent and having to endure that with a straight face! I'd have blood dripping down my chin from biting my tongue so hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I'm assuming it will get drowned out when the rest of the percussion section starts up. Sort of like the 3rd graders playing the 1812 overture.
I recommend the Portsmouth Sinfonia version; the 1712 Overture by P.D.Q. Bach runs a close second! On a more topical note Laurie Binns tried a riveted fibre disc on the large idler and I seem to remember someone lining the timing cover in lead sheet as well.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
....... Laurie Binns tried a riveted fibre disc on the large idler and I seem to remember someone lining the timing cover in lead sheet as well.
There must be something in the air. I was spinning my large idler the other day and noticed the "ringing". Many years ago I had an Ariel Square Four. The two crankshafts were coupled together by two gears that were maybe 5 or 6 inches in diameter. Each gear had an annulus of fibre fixed on to damp out the "ringing".

vibrac

VOC Member
On the subject of idlers let me make an observation
I bet if someone had just made the alloy idler he would sell hundreds to aspiring Vincent owners who would all swear by the quieter running and less inertia.
My premise is that they got a bad reputation because they were done to death in the spares desert of the late 60's and early 70's when many cheap bikes were run down, poorly lubricated ,ran on two piece supports that gave way and they were past their run life
Perhaps a new alloy idler properly set up would last and give advantages for a good five years of use - not that I have one but its a item for discussion.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I've never had any bad noises from the timing chest, except if the meshing of any two gears were too tight. Weren't the alloy gears good for about 40 thousand miles before they start shedding their teeth. A new one would last most riders for ever now.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
On the subject of idlers let me make an observation
I bet if someone had just made the alloy idler he would sell hundreds to aspiring Vincent owners who would all swear by the quieter running and less inertia.
My premise is that they got a bad reputation because they were done to death in the spares desert of the late 60's and early 70's when many cheap bikes were run down, poorly lubricated ,ran on two piece supports that gave way and they were past their run life
Perhaps a new alloy idler properly set up would last and give advantages for a good five years of use - not that I have one but its a item for discussion.

I've never had any bad noises from the timing chest, except if the meshing of any two gears were too tight. Weren't the alloy gears good for about 40 thousand miles before they start shedding their teeth. A new one would last most riders for ever now.
My Comet was a "70's" bike and I agree entirely with you blokes. When I finally got down to getting the thing running properly I discovered a piston crown welded in situ, a home-made big-end, a Polson sand-cast piston and two alloy idlers with precarious dentition. In fact, the only bike that made more whirring noises than the Comet was a brand-new MV Agusta that passed me in Elizabeth Street one Saturday morning! How long did Tony Rose's idler gear last?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyborg

VOC Member
When I heard the ringing in the Comet it was when I was setting up the backlash. That notchy feeling caused by the magnets in the Alton made the ringing amazingly loud. I did look up at the wall and wonder about the alloy and bronze gears hanging there, but the fear of a VOC fatwa made me stay with the steel.