Misc: Everything Else Standard Comet Special

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can someone please help me out and measure the vertical distance between the holes on the F106 frame tie that connect the UFM to the G50/1 and the inner comet chaincase? (Not the footrest hanger holes). As I mentioned in another thread, I will be fabricating something to replace the frame tie and that distance is important for correct geometry and I don't have a frame tie here to measure. In the picture this would be the distance from the 3/8 rod in the inner chaincase and G50/1 to the rear head mounting hole in the UFM.

I have used a standard muff in this picture because the cases have not been bored yet, and it and the standard comet G50/1 plate are just there for mock up. The oil filler tube location and angle is different than David's other frames, since I want to use an aluminum Egli tank I picked up that may be from a Ducati or Honda with a wet sump and no cut for a regular Egli filler neck. It has a few small dents that I need to get to at some point.

Thanks,

Ron

IMG_0715.JPG
IMG_0717.JPG
IMG_0719.JPG

Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
I think you will all find those threaded holes down where the pushrod tubes go have nothing to do with sealing them................I am thinking, screw it guides to support solid type cam followers and using modern symmetrical cams methinks..............;)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Can someone please help me out and measure the vertical distance between the holes on the F106 frame tie that connect the UFM to the G50/1 and the inner comet chaincase? (Not the footrest hanger holes). As I mentioned in another thread, I will be fabricating something to replace the frame tie and that distance is important for correct geometry and I don't have a frame tie here to measure. In the picture this would be the distance from the 3/8 rod in the inner chaincase and G50/1 to the rear head mounting hole in the UFM.

I have used a standard muff in this picture because the cases have not been bored yet, and it and the standard comet G50/1 plate are just there for mock up. The oil filler tube location and angle is different than David's other frames, since I want to use an aluminum Egli tank I picked up that may be from a Ducati or Honda with a wet sump and no cut for a regular Egli filler neck. It has a few small dents that I need to get to at some point.

Thanks,

Ron

View attachment 17614 View attachment 17615 View attachment 17616
Morning Ron, I don't have any flash way of measure, But it's near as 7 1/2". seven and half inches
003.JPG
. Cheers Bill

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sorry Ron, Make that 7. 5/8", It's not easy because it's offset, Can anybody else give us there thoughts ?. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Bill, that really helps. I will try 7-5/8. I am sure 1/8" either way is not critical.

Ron
The Factory seem to like odd bits of measure !, I have also got to sort out the measure from that 3/8" stud to the other 3/8" bolt, Because with the "D" frame it could be anything, You are OK you have 2 fixed fittings at the top frame. Good Luck, Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
Those figures sound close enough. The rake is 26 degrees, so it can be varied by changing the distance of the F106 replacement.

I can do a DRO measurement of an F106 on the milling machine if necessary.

David

Oldhaven

VOC Member
That's OK David, thanks, but don't go to the trouble. Now that I have a figure to start from I can experiment. If I make a rear frame tie from a couple of plates it will be easy enough to change the distance if I need to. I will check the rake and trail when I get farther along. Since I didn't use GSXR forks things will be a bit different than what you designed for anyway.

Ron