• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Stamping inside left crankcase housing

Brian Thompson

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Hello All,
I have finally started on the Rapide engines. Both B series.
On cleaning up engine number 2 crankcases , I found stamped inside the lettering ; 2nd Sample
The engine number is 3 digit starting with 3. After F10 etc .Didn't know if it is advisable to list actual Engine number.
Is that normal?
I didn't check the cases on engine number 1 , but I'll have a look after they come back from the machine shop.
Thank you
brt650

John Cone

VOC Member
There is a thread somewhere on this site that i read a while ago stating that some engine rebuilders have been known to put thier own marks on the inside of cases when a repair had been carrried out.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Most likely I'm wrong, neither the first OR last time, sample number 2 suggests that either a different foundry was used or maybe another machine shop was given a "try-out" . with a motor number in the three hundreds there must still have been some degree of prototyping and snagging going on. Ref Mr Cone, I put on about engraving my name and date inside all motors either overhauled or built by me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.