Stale Fuel

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not a particularly Vincent related question this but I thought I would ask anyway. As I am either totally stupid or just plain lazy I left fuel in my Yamaha FJ1200 ABS for a number of years, although the FJ is a really nice machine I simply prefer my Vincents, consequently the FJ just sat there and occasionally got started up and run, but then the battery died and it just languished at the rear of garage. I decided it is now time to sell it so I attempted to start it with a jump battery, the petrol pump ticked for a while just like usual, the choke pull appeared seized and then something vaguely resembling fuel poured all over the garage floor, Hmmm so it would appear that the fuel ( I wont call it petrol cause it aint) has evaporated back to its residual components and seized and blocked the carbs and floats, is there any solution to this problem other than scrap the carbs or scrap the bike, I guess new carbs would cost more than the bike is worth.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
The solution is to totally strip the carbs, clean-out using paint stripper, don't forget to remove all jets etc, use safety wire to ensure all jets+passages are clear, finish off with wd 40and compressed air. It takes ages, but I have had good results on many occasions.Good luck.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I have heard of people using one of these or more sophisticated industrial units to clean carbs. I don't know how big FJ carbs are, though.

vincenttwin

VOC Member
always add some thing like STAR TRON to your fuel , the new type fuel will eat rubber and leave water sitting in the bottom of the tank , it will also eat that old liner in your tank , nasty stuff.

peter

John Cone

VOC Member
i have the same problem with my XJ650 if left for a while. Drain the tank and fill with fresh juice, connect a slave battery. Oh i forgot to mention that you need to purchase a can of Easy Start or pilot start from a motor shop. While spinning the motor over spray a LITTLE of the spray in to the airbox and it should fire up after a couple of goes. Don't use to much spray or use it often as engines get addicted to it. My XJ runs like a bag of nails for a few minutes while the carbs get over the shock of having to work.

carlm

Non-VOC Member
I resurrected a Honda 400-4 by putting a lot of fuel injector cleaner through the carbs. You need a lot of battery and lots of patience!
Roythemechanic is quite right though. The proper thing to do is strip and rebuild. How are the rubber connections? Mine were not much like rubber anymore, which is why I tried injector cleaner.
Carl

Colin

VOC Member
You can't actually buy petrol any longer, all you can get is liquid crap at about £6.50 a gallon, guaranteed to destroy a bike cherished for donkeys years. The Asylum is now run by the Lunatics!