Stainless ? Pipes

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You can have the internal surface coated with a ceramic layer BUT I think this can only be done with new pipes :-(

Thanks Alyn, but I think that's a bit OTT. It's not a show bike, and never will be while I've got it. I had stainless pipes so I didn't have to clean them as often. I'll just have to put up with the dull look, or buy some chrome ones.

H

vince998

VOC Member
Howard,
I was bothered by yellowing pipes. A friend suggested having them chrome plated. He stated that the chrome shop might resist because they do not usually chrome plate stainless. The chrome shop did resist, but I asked them to go ahead and try it. They did, it turned out beautiful and I was pleased for years.
Merlin

I´m surprised they chromed used pipes? The carbon deposits contaminate the chrome bath.
I found a guy who was prepared to re-chrome my pipes after i´d burned out as much of the old black carbon as possible. He was only 2 weeks from retirement anyway!!! :)

dagriise@online.no

Non-VOC Member
Had this problem on a BMW i had. The remedy i found was to take of the pipes, give them a smear with "Turtle rust eater" (Think that is a red phospourus acid gel.) Left it on for about 5 mins, (try a short time first, and increase if nescesary) Rinse thouroughly with water. This left the pipes bright, but a little dull. A quick go on the polishing machine brought them back to shine. Imagine a go on the polisher, could do a lot on its own...

Regards Dag
Norway

Alan J

VOC Member
"Brown pipes save lives"-no, I've got that slightly wrong! [I should have stayed in Tenerife-20 degrees instead of minus 4!]