stainless exhaust

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Surely if there was that much variation in head location and cylinder angle it would cause bigger problems elswhere , eg: attachment to the UFM ? How would the works have coped with having to hand fit each set of pipes and subsequent fitment of factory supplied spares ?

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
I'm with Tnecniv on this. Consider that the distance from the front port to the exhaust fitting at the rear of the long pipe where it fastens to the footrest plate is more than or about the same as the distance from that fitting to the end of the silencer. Treat the fastening as a pivot and one gets about a 1 : 1 ratio. Two thou at the front gives two thou at the back. If I am wrong then where does the extra leverage come from? As an aside I never use that fastening and in fact on the Armours pipes had to saw it off as it was in the wrong place and wrong angle. Instead I use a nice solid clamp over the silencer to exhaust pipe joint (Vinparts supply such a clamp) and use a little clear silicone mastic in the joint as well. I only realized just how heat resistant this mastic is when I was helping a friend who races a sidecar. During the interval/rebuild which occurs during many sidecar events it was a revelation to see people putting their exhaust pipes back in after cylinder head removal with this normal builders material. At the cylinder head it might only last a few races but at the silencer end it seems to still act as a seal after years of use.

Somer

VOC Member
My experince has been that the original works pipes are generally a good fit.As a friend said once,you can throw them on from across the room. After markets always seem to be a crap shoot.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I am a lucky guy, the pipes I got from Kemps in the '80's, probably made on the Works machine fit perfectly.

tonythecat

Non-VOC Member
Bob Culver's pipes.

Yesterday I received a set of Bobs pipes, courtesy of Russ. It took me longer to take them out of the packing than to fit them, a perfect fit. Thanks Guys.

Tony