Misc: Everything Else Stainless bits

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The cad looks decent when new, but over time, the black polka dots of corrosion get me down.
If you find a way to distress SS so that it looks like corrosion free Cad, it should stay that way.

oexing

VOC Member
I did a lot of stainless items on this 1935 four valve 600 cc Horex - because it´s my bike and I like it that way. So lot of bling-bling in stainless like the foot brake lever and oil lines. But so is the carb elbow in stainless - but glass bead blasted, to mount the Brit Amal in a better position. What´d you say, does it look out of place , a lot like dull nickel ??? Would you have diagnosed it as stainless - honestly ??

Vic
IMG00012.JPG

oexing

VOC Member
Funny thing, did you notice,they had gear lever and brake lever at the same side for a while, so each time - not very often - when I do a ride it takes quite a while to find the right lever - bad when you are in a hurry. Anyway, there is a ridiculous mix of bikes in the garage quite different to handle: The 1935 Guzzi got British/Italian gear change but rear brake lever left side for heel action. Some bikes are modern standard, the 1928 BMW got right side hand change but rear shaft drive brake with right shoe heel. The 1955 Horex all Italian/British brake and gear change - can be very confusing when actually thinking about and not relying on instincts.

Vic
gh.JPG

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Graham Jamison NZ built a (black shadow completely with a few original components even MADE IN NEWZEALD cast into the c/case) then a few years back restored an Arial square four OHC 600cc I think with forward facing carb, all fasteners in S/S but had a light dusting of fine glass blasting and looked like freshly cad plating as I use to have a mate in the EEM department who use to get cad plating done for me and it doesn't deteriorate.
I too like bling and love the smell of s/s. It does smell ask my son he will tell you.
Having now finished the "A" Comet that Bill built up for me and while the "A" Rap tank was being painted maroon I've removed my rocker pins that I'd made in s/s. After 24-k miles can't see any sign of wear what so ever. They say it work hardens. Anyway seeing as they were off I decided to mod them further, originals are 7/16 Whit spanner size and its awkward to get a spanner on so made it 3/8 Whit but the hexagon looked too big under the banjo so reduce them to 5/16 Whit size, much easier to get on a ring spanner. the idea of using the banjo's is to get the oil feed lines out of the way to fit the second plug.
bananaman.

NOS FROM 1966 COLLECTED FROM TONY FOX-MALE HAVE QUITE A FEW NEW "A" ITEMS LIKE THIS A LOT HAVE BEEN ZINC PLATED, ANY ONE DOING AN 'A" THEY CAN HAVE AT REASONABLE PRICES.
IMG_3123.jpeg