Sssssssssslow Server Response

G

Graham Smith

A couple of people have mentioned they're finding the server response slow at the moment.

Yes - you're absolutely right, there is a problem and I don't know what it is!

We're actually on a shared server (ie - share one with a number of other websites). We were using up nearly 50% of this server's processor power - leaving the other sites the rest of the 50%. Not good, bearing in mind all we're running is a basic forum.

Our hosts have been most helpful, and have now re-located our forum on a server on its own while I sort the problem out, so now we've got MPH in the post and on its way to you, I hope to be able to devote some time to this problem.

Please bear with me if the forum goes off-line intermittently during the next week or so.

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Sssllllooooooooowwww Response

Hi Graham,

Something else I've noticed recently. When I log in I get the welcome splash screen, then the forum goes back to the login page. It 's not repeatable and can be quite random...:confused:

Neil

G

Graham Smith

Do you log out everytime you finish on the forum then?

If you're not using a public terminal, there should be no need to ever log out.

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Log on problems

Hi Graham,

Due to my home PC dying at the weekend I'm having to use my works PC, and our IT rules mean that we have to log out of any service all the time...

Neil

PS
I've never had any problems at home

G

Graham Smith

If everything worked OK at home, then it must be something to do with your work's PC then.

G

Graham Smith

It seems the slow server response was because of the advertising banners being placed at the top of the header (for some reason).

For the time being, I have moved them down into a separate section, and this has resolved the problem in the short-term, while I try to come up with a fix.