Sqealing brakes

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi,

My brakes work very well but the front brakes have and iritating squeal especially when " feathered". The shoes have bonded linings and a few days ago, I took them apart and made sure everything was nice and clean but it made no difference. Anyone got a cure?

Mac

greg brillus

VOC Member
Try roughing up the shoe contact area inside the drums with some good emery tape, give them a really good scowering to get rid of the glazed surface. At the same time give the outer face of each shoe a rough up as well, this will stop the high frequency squeal that you are suffering, cheers....Greg.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
This was always aproblem with AM4 I assume you have a modern replacement material, which has the same result when partially applied. If they work well ignore it. Like people who fitted the original Ferodo material. There were instances of return spring failure
due to the high frequency vibration when racing, so people wire the spring so the couldn't fall into the drum if they ever broke. It never happened to me touring. You could buy some ear plugs, Ken Tidswell

vince998

VOC Member
Russel Kemp used to sell shoe springs with rotating hooks. that cured the squeel on my brakes.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I had a neighbour whose scooter brakes squealed. It was an odd big scooter in the mid sixties. She cured the noise by oiling. Honest!
Another friend had rust on the cast iron discs of his Trident. He got all upset when his girlfriend polished and waxed them.

Howard

VOC Member
I had a neighbour whose scooter brakes squealed. It was an odd big scooter in the mid sixties. She cured the noise by oiling. Honest!
Another friend had rust on the cast iron discs of his Trident. He got all upset when his girlfriend polished and waxed them.

I know someone who stopped his discs from rusting with WD40, and someone who's son cleaned his tyres with Back to Black silicon spray, both went grass tracking soon after leaving home.

H

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
I know someone who stopped his discs from rusting with WD40, and someone who's son cleaned his tyres with Back to Black silicon spray, both went grass tracking soon after leaving home.

H

An ex girlfriend of mine put a spray on silicone cleaner on the seat of a very fast GS1000 suzuki I owned, I came out of a very slow corner and gave it a skinful...ended up looking like Rollie Free while I was going past all my mates who were drinking outside of my favourite pub :mad:

Duff 51

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Mac
This isn't a hi tech answer but in a pinch you can use the lead from a mechanical pencil I use 1.0mm the thick stuff, pick (2) spots about 1" down from each end of the shoe on opsit sides drill a hole big enough to insert the lead as deep as the lining of the shoe will allow. Lead must be even with the surface of the shoe, the lead won't degrade the stopping power of the brakes but will stop the squeal.
Duff