Sqealing brakes

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Pre-war sports cars with finned drums often squealed. The standard cure was to stretch a coil spring around the drum between two of the fins. I don't know why this should work but it did. Those brake shoe springs with rotating hooks that Russell used to supply certainly worked.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On squeeling brakes . This is a high pitched vibration of course . It often helps to file back a little further the chanfered ends of the linings . Clean all and rough up the drum surfaces and also the linings faces with a piece of emery cloth . Often eliminates the sound . Worth a try . Sid .

macvette

Non-VOC Member
On squeeling brakes . This is a high pitched vibration of course . It often helps to file back a little further the chanfered ends of the linings . Clean all and rough up the drum surfaces and also the linings faces with a piece of emery cloth . Often eliminates the sound . Worth a try . Sid .
Thanks, I've been through the brakes as suggested some time ago. I dimly recall a 1930's MG that I had with finned brake drums which had a spring on each drum between the fins. I seem to recall being told this was to prevent brake squeal. I think I'll try a lrge diameter O ring in between the fins to see if that helps.

Mac

ossie

VOC Member
when we turned things on a lathe and they started ringing or vibrating also on cylindrical grinding we would quite often put a couple of elastic bands on the workpeice or on
the pin wheel or toolpeice.
suprising what a difference this made.
my shadow front brakes [magneseum plates] always do this.
lets people jump out of the way when they see the look of panic in your eyes -will i or wont i stop-.
OSSIE.
twin discs on my modernish bike spoil me.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Your mention of squealing reminded me that my fronts with AM4 linings squeal a bit. I assumed it was the linings, not the Shadow drums ringing. I'll have to try what has been mentioned here in the Spring.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On use of O rings between drum fins to quieten noise . I recalled that I'd done this on the clutch drum on my drag bike . Memory's pop up . Sorry if it was out of place for some . Sid .

Howard

VOC Member
I'm not sure this is the right place to mention this, but this is the only brake thread running at the moment, and as usual there are coments about poor braking.

I've just had my front brake re-lined and re-adjusted (TLS Laverda) and fitted a heavy duty cable, but it still seems to be under-performing. I noticed at the weekend that the shape of the lever means that my hand slides to the middle (of the lever) when I brake, so I'm effectively losing half(ish) of my braking force. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my old Tomaselli levers?

H

D

Deleted member 1085

Is it advisable to use emery cloth on linings?

clevtrev

VOC Member
Trying to cure the noise with all the added rubbers etc., will not address the problem. The noise is because the shoe is vibrating, and eventually you might be unlucky and have the ear break off the shoe, and believe me when it does it might cause a big problem.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Many years ago a December issue of MPH had some joke ads in Floggers Corner. Amongst these was "Silence it" Brake Lining oil, a product guaranteed to overcome the squealing brake problem. Not sure whether it came with a Health & Safety warning.............