Springtime and petrol in the UK

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Its that time of year when I reconnect the carburetors and refill the empty tanks of the bikes unfortunately unlike the US we are not allowed to know what is in those pumps in the forecourts of the ever reducing number of service stations we can chose from:(. So has anyone tested and found any non ethanol sellers this year?

I thought I might try alternative 2 and get some Aspen fuel http://www.aspenfuel.co.uk/ but its over £3.00 a litre:eek: , they also have a 'sale' at santa pod fuels just up the road but the prices start at £75 a drum (VP)but I will have to visit or ring as the web site has forgotten to say what a drum capacity is:(. BMH were saying they would supply ethanol free petrol but that seems to have died a death:(.

Alternative 3 is to get one of those ethanol removal kits http://www.ethanil.co.uk/ but that does seem a bit of a messy task has anyone tried one yet?

I absolutely cannot understand why we are surrounded by a mountain of products telling us in minute detail what they contain or are made of and yet petrol pumps tell you nothing except some stupid idiotic name or claim.

And soon coming to a pump near you wonderful rust on, rubber rot, and monkey metal corrode 10% ethanol.:mad:

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Discussing fuel with a pal yesterday, according to an artical in vmcc mag, Texaco super "they don't bother to put the dreaded substance in". I guess I'll find out this time next season.

A_HRD

VOC Member
And also the Esso Super Unleaded "Supremo"(?). But it does depend on which refinery it comes from…

Someone at my local Ethanol Station has stuck a sign on one of the pumps saying: "May Contain Nuts"; he might be right!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

vibrac

VOC Member
Just received this information re Aspen petrol
The Octane of aspen is as follows
RON95
MON92

macvette

Non-VOC Member
There are articles on this subject on the main voc site. What is not generally realised is that ethanol has been a component is petrol for many years eg the Discol brand so it's not new and there's a good chance that our old bikes ran on petrol containing ethanol for a good few years in the past. It is highly improbable that there are any roadside petrol stations that sell ethanol free fuel. I looked up the technical data sheet for a major refiner and their super fuel contains 5% ethanol which is hardly surprising since it is an octane enhancer. The reason that the fuels mentioned by Vibrac are so expensive is that they require additional processing. Those fuels contain naphtha which is a feed stock for the petrochemical industry and is produced in an aromatics plant which is a post refinery unit. Currently fuel in the uk is limited to 5% ethanol. Having built new and upgraded refineries and petrol complexes for around 40 yrs and fiddled with engines for much longer than that, I work on the KISS system with all of my old machines. Ethanol resistant fuel pipe and seals, only put in enough fuel so that it is refreshed frequently and take it out over winter but most importantly don't rely on urban myths. Only if the fuel is advertised as ethanol free believe it.
Mac

vibrac

VOC Member
According to the site http://www.ethanil.co.uk/league-table/ sainsbury is down at 1% but since I have to apply in triplicate to my consience to goto a supermarket petrol station as I regard them as the reason the nearest petrol is six miles from my house its not high on my list.
I remember Discol their adverts had a helmeted geeza looking both ways at once a bit like the greens who started this adulteration without thinking of all the ramifications (some not connected to ICE engines)

macvette

Non-VOC Member
According to the site http://www.ethanil.co.uk/league-table/ sainsbury is down at 1% but since I have to apply in triplicate to my consience to goto a supermarket petrol station as I regard them as the reason the nearest petrol is six miles from my house its not high on my list.
I remember Discol their adverts had a helmeted geeza looking both ways at once a bit like the greens who started this adulteration without thinking of all the ramifications (some not connected to ICE engines)

At the time ( 1960 to 1990s)when brands like Discol and others contained ethanol, it was done to enhance octane
rating and give a cleaner burn. It was not environmentally driven. I notice that the ethanil site omits to say how to legally dispose of the ethanol/ water mix which will also contain some gasoline. Dumping it down the drains is illegal but I suppose if they mention that it may affect their sales. Down to one's conscience I suppose.
Mac

vibrac

VOC Member
Disposal? I suppose you could just burn it in a can (That's what you were going to do anyway) and when the burning stops leave it and the water will evaporate. As I said above its messy and not somewhere I want to go unless I have to. I just cant believe we are forced into such contortions, if the US can label pumps and give a choice why cant we? A sensible premium for decent fuel would be acceptable and over a year would save us time and money. There is a market, thats for certain.

Howard

VOC Member
On the grounds we're likely to have another 5% of the stuff soon, why not add it to the petrol in the car and burn it that way?

H