FF: Forks Spring Box tube

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think there is something about looking for this in the steering stem thread its not easy thats for sure

A_HRD

VOC Member
I was told long ago that the lower front springbox tubes, in stainless, were sourced from a specific requirement for a military jet engine tube. But when that engine was discontinued, the supply dried up. (That could be an old wives tale of course).

Either way it is really hard to find and I suspect that a metric near match (eek) :eek: has been pressed in to service over the years. Certainly I have found that some springs are a tight fit in the tube - but I can't be sure that the fault is not down to the spring....(?).

Anyway, what you need is a 22g tube with 1-1/8th OD - if you find any let me know - even if it's mild steel !

Peter B

P.S. Maybe it's available in the USA?

davidd

VOC Member
I don't think 22 gauge wall is common over here. Most start at 20 gauge. With 22 gauge there should be no problems with the spring diameter. At 20 you might run into problems.

David

Last edited:

Dinny

VOC Member
I do remember that Phantom fuel pipe was the right size for making mudguard stays and headlight brackets. Ray Mawson was the man who could find ‘scraps’ of it!

Mark

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Could you not grind / Linish ?, The outside of the spring, So it would be smaller width,
Don't think it would take much ?. Cheers Bill.