Split collets

Andy B

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Are split collets for series A valves available anywhere? Also any reason why they are not on the " alternative drawings" I purchased a while ago? All three of my engines where purchased from a "professional dismantler " so was not aware of their need until rebuilding

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I may have some. I converted all my A engines (OK well Both my A engines) to postwar style. I try and remember to have a look tomorrow and let you know. I may even have some new ones!

A_HRD

VOC Member
Hi Andy,
If you mean the Alternative Spares List (for Series A machines) put together by Bill Parr, then they do show the split collets (E36) on the exploded head diagram on Page 15.
I bought some years ago from Conways so I assume they'll still have them...
Peter B

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
B,C,&D collets are the same but with a circlip groove turned in them. I had a lot of NOS from Tony Fox-Mail in Norfolk in 1967 or 8 when I loaded an "A" Comet in bits into my Stieb sidecar then called in at Swindon to pick up a "C" Comet for nothing and laid it on top of the sidecar. arriving home in the early hours.

A_HRD

VOC Member
I've not delved in any depth in to the differences between 'A' collets and post-war ones. However, Bob Stafford in MPH 503 states that "C Collets are shorter than the A variety". Also in his Ab Initio articles, Bob states "Note that C Collets have a seating in them for a wire circlip and cannot be used with Series A valves, which require the correct square-faced collet to sit on the shoulder on the valve stem". See also pages 242 and 243 in the book Back to 'A'.
Peter B

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I bow to Peter's knowledge, I do have "A" collets in a "C" head as I machined two pair to fit the circlips, but not actually run the engine yet.

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
How many would you like Andy, I could manage two pair and a spare pair, ( losing them is quite easy)

I would be most grateful if you could spare two pairs Marcus, I do not intend to rebuild the third engine I have, just doing the correct engine for the frame and a spare will see me out, let me know how to proceed and thanks a bunch

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
I may have some. I converted all my A engines (OK well Both my A engines) to postwar style. I try and remember to have a look tomorrow and let you know. I may even have some new ones!
Thanks Robert, I'm not sure if Marcus has me covered but if not I certainly would appreciate your help, thanks again