E: Engine Speet Brake Installation Query

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
John McDougall put a set of these on his Shadow, and made the balance beam function as on original brakes. He ran them a very short time and declared them to extremely dangerous, took them off and put his originals back on.

Too may way of thinking this is wrong. As has been stated earlier, in theory the force applied to the brake cams goes up considerably using the balance beam rather than a twin pull setup, this being done at the expense of a shorter travel on the lever becoming longer. I have argued with a very experience Professional engineer and Vincent owner who keeps insisting I am wrong, but changing force and travel is the basic principal of levers or how else could you roll a large railcar (wagon) just using a very long handled very short lever under one wheel on the tracks, as they used to do.

Twin shoes can be a bit grabby especially when damp, but doing that with almost 2X the force would indeed be dangerous, but this was NOT a issue with the Speet setup, but the installation based on incorrect assumptions.

vibrac

VOC Member
With the racing rules restriction of keeping the original 7" drums all we could do was make a twin leading shoe conversion backplates on cad cam with a handlebar wiffle tree (Suzuki). What would be nice would be to increase the length of the handlebar lever, as was pointed out to me old pre war racers often had longer brake levers on the bars of their bikes..

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I am not at all a promotor of the balance beam, as the whole set up is to flimsy, it only bends under force....
taking up a lot of movement in the arm, the lever is soon at the handlebar...Two simple good lined, and greased cables don't. As for equal pull, its very simple to adjust, just measure the temperature on each of the drums, after a few good stops.
But each to his own, and dont complain if something goes terrible wrong.

erik

VOC Member
Marcus ,to my mind your lever on the brake is to long making force low travel distance on the lever is to long.@ Vincent : Not everybody has hands like you. (Ich habe mit Anette gesprochen! HaHa !) Erik