Speedo

glen

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, so what is the correct speedo for a pre war comet ?
what drive connection and clockwise or anti-clockwise?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Glen,

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
From the few I've seen usually three inch 120 M.P.H. face, possibly some were 80 M.P.H. Howard Instruments in Heidelberg West (Victoria) has a lot of information, and supplies new dial faces, look up their website. Rigid drive cable tube is pictured in "Richardson".

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I've just checked the "Velobanjogent" site maintained by Dennis Quinlan. He has a bit more information under "Vincent speedos". If you search long enough on the Howard Instruments site you'll find an interchange from the pre-war 120M.P.H. instrument to the post-war S 433/3/L standard type. The pre-war type seems to be S.136

Albervin

VOC Member
Standard fitment to Meteor and Comet was 80 MPH speedo with Jaeger coupling. Jaeger coupling is a hook and eye with a bloody small (8 BA?) screw holding it together. Solid brass tube outer. Optional was a 120 mph speedo with same Jaeger coupling. Some of the early speedos had no light bulb fitting and others did. Makes no difference as who will ride an "A" at night???? The speedos are very hard to find in good condition and the brass tube may be unavailable . My New Imperial uses a flexible flat wound steel outer.

vibrac

VOC Member
Bananaman is often seen in the Cornwall lanes on old Harry when the lights are out.....
and I bet his speedo light is blue too

A_HRD

VOC Member
Standard fitment to Meteor and Comet was 80 MPH speedo with Jaeger coupling. Jaeger coupling is a hook and eye with a bloody small (8 BA?) screw holding it together. Solid brass tube outer. Optional was a 120 mph speedo with same Jaeger coupling. Some of the early speedos had no light bulb fitting and others did. Makes no difference as who will ride an "A" at night???? The speedos are very hard to find in good condition and the brass tube may be unavailable . My New Imperial uses a flexible flat wound steel outer.

I agree with most of what Albervin said except that I think you will find that brass tubes have been supplied as spares for some years now - but original ones were steel.

I have attached a photo or three showing my refurbished Smiths/Jaeger which is the original off TTC20 of late '35/early'36 vintage. Fortuitously, I asked for the original speedo face back for posterity. It is interesting (annoying?) to note the changes made on the new face:- 'British Made' is now changed to 'Made in England'; 'Jaeger Patent' is changed to 'Eng. Jaeger Patent' and 'British Made' under the Smiths logo is now 'in UK'. I do wish that people commissioning reproductions of original parts would reflect that originality properly.

This one has no provision for a light. I think the 80mph ones are identical to the 120 ones (other than the numerics of course). If I remember correctly, Smiths had some partnership with the German firm Jaeger and subsequently bought them out. I have never seen one, but I assume Kilometre equivalent faces would have been available too...

Peter B

P1080644.jpg

P1080645.jpg

P1080647.jpg