speedo problem

dirkgently

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
hi , the cable on my 5" speedo broke a few weeks ago , speedo stopped at about 40 mph took broken cable out and it dropped to zero all ok .

I ordered new cable for some reason i put the inner cable into the speedo and turned it left and right all ok then when i fitted it to the bike it would not turn in the speedo as if the clock had jammed . what have i done ?, any advice welcome before i take it apart .

thanks

Ducvelo

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Probably the speedo head gearbox jamming when you turn it backwards. I had this - apparently they wear this way after a while. David Woods (0124 - 354 2521) is the expert, and will do a rebuild of it for you for a reasonable price.
Ducvelo

hi , the cable on my 5" speedo broke a few weeks ago , speedo stopped at about 40 mph took broken cable out and it dropped to zero all ok .

I ordered new cable for some reason i put the inner cable into the speedo and turned it left and right all ok then when i fitted it to the bike it would not turn in the speedo as if the clock had jammed . what have i done ?, any advice welcome before i take it apart .

thanks

Albervin

VOC Member
You need to take the holistic approach Dirk. Was it broken at the top or the bottom of the cable? Did it look like it had "unwound" itself. Place the cable into the drive unit and detach from speedo. Spin wheel, does it turn? Have you changed any components of the speedo drive unit (brackets, gears etc)? Have you greased the speedo gearbox and speedo drive unit recently?

dirkgently

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
hi , the cable had broken near to the top where it bends away from the speedo unit , bit of a sharp bend . I have just stripped the speedo and found the gear box is not free on the cable input side . removed the end covers and found two of the smallest ball bearings ever , i usually drop that sort of thing . will leave in wd40 overnight . the speedo input shaft is free but not turning so i dont think i have stripped the drive faces .

clevtrev

VOC Member
hi , the cable had broken near to the top where it bends away from the speedo unit , bit of a sharp bend . I have just stripped the speedo and found the gear box is not free on the cable input side . removed the end covers and found two of the smallest ball bearings ever , i usually drop that sort of thing . will leave in wd40 overnight . the speedo input shaft is free but not turning so i dont think i have stripped the drive faces .
You will probably find the gears worn on one side.

Ducdude

VOC Member
I had this on my Shadow's Speedo and I found the right angle drive gears on the Speedo had been gunked (tech term) up with dried goo (tech term) and metal shavings from the gears.... It is easy to pull this drive and clean the gears surgically clean and re-lube with some light grease and set it all back together. While you are at it have a look at the drive gear off the FT hub and make sure that it too is clean and nicely lubed. Warning though the wheel drive has a peened in cover that WILL fall out if it is not re-peened well. I added some green lock tight just to be sure...

If none of this works it may be time to have the speedo serviced as they need to be lubed internally every 30 or 40 years..

Good luck,
Eric
52 Shadow
USA