Speedo Irregularities

ogrilp400

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
We got a refurbished speedo for my brothers Meteor..Zero miles on the clock..took it down for an M.O.T and in a 30mph zone it read 60mph and I was not passing all the traffic!. I took the speedo of my bike and mounted a gearbox and speedo gears on my lathe and ran it at around 550rpm. My speedo read about 30mph, and when I fitted the one of the Meteor it read just over 60mph.Distance to and from testing station 6 miles,distance on odometer 12 miles, so double speed and double mileage..Have you checked if the mileage is double??..We are still waiting to hear why..john
Oops, sorry guys, forgot to mention that the odometer and trip meters are also fast.

Phelps.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Ken, they are usually reliable, so try another speedo. on the machine just to back your case and return it to them, maybe with the "right" speedo. for comparison. it must be wrong internal gearing or weights.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Yes. I tried another couple of speedo heads yesterday and they all read correctly. Will do just that and take a few correct reading ones with me.

Phelps.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
The next edition of 998 (the newsletter of the Vincent HRD Owners Club, Victoria Section) will have a detailed exposition on the workings of a Smiths Chronometric speedo - it is due to be published late May.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Sorry, you are the Antipodes! Our editor is a very helpful fellah, as long as there are no copyright dramas, I'm sure he would post it on the Club website. Not my decision, though, so ask him nicely. Cheers. P.S. If it is the same information I have, it is in the "Practical Motorist and Motorcyclist" first issue, May 1954. Editor F.J.Camm. This issue also had the detailed notes on overhauling the Vincent twin motor.