Speedo gearbox (brake plate)

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
After 45 years of apparent contentment the endplate - the one with the grease nipple - on my Rapide speedo gearbox has jumped ship. I don't know when this happened. I only noticed it when I came to check the front tyre pressure. If anyone has one of these they can sell me I should be most grateful or if they can point me in the right direction to obtain one. I don't know why it jumped ship. The gearbox has worked perfectly with the odd splodge of grease for the aforementioned 45 years. Having never had cause to dismantle the gearbox I am a bit ignorant as to its workings. The other end plate is secured with a split pin. The grease nipple plate is 'staked'. This seems odd as there is no inner shoulder for it to bear on and I am not sure how this Staking was supposed to work exactly or what clearance there should be. Any information gratefully received.

Hugo

Howard

VOC Member
I lost my rev counter innards the same way - now you see it, now you don't!!

Apparently it's a common problem, there ought to be a supply of innards somewhere, but I haven't found it, the rare suppliers left want to sell the whole lot.

http://velobanjogent.blogspot.co.uk/ This guy tells a good tale on the internet, but I haven't had a reply from him, you could try your luck.

H

Albervin

VOC Member
Dennis is now semi retired as far as speedos go. He sold his business (KTT) several years ago but kept a small stash of rare bits. The speedo drives were all sold off and Dennis will now only does work on the exotic stuff or friend's bits. I had a speedo drive do the same thing a couple of years ago and had it repaired by Tim Thearle who took over part of Dennis' business.

ossie

VOC Member
that end plate is probably common on most smiths speedos its the gears etc that are different